Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > So . . . am I dead meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #41
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1338 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 3322

If I may. You are looking at approximately 900 foot pounds of energy at 50 yards. Soft targets, you will drop them. Armored targets, you will slow them down until they get closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
It'll just slow 'em down.

Seriously . . . if I've got an army after me, I'm so ****ed anyway that it won't make that much difference.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1338 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 3322

Default What to use?

@txpossum,

Someo of the folks that has posted on this thread has either been on the field of the bad guy or severerly trained for it. All the advice is good.

Now having said that, the days of the open street shoot out died with the OK Corral. For me, using your scenario, I have the following weapons for these purposes.

Long Range: PSL-54
Short to Medium Range: WASR 10/63, Mossberg 500
Short Range: PT1911 or Px4 Storm.

If you outfit you Rucksack properly, you can carry this load out with relative ease.

Point is, train with your weapons of choice and get comfortable with them. Get your heart rate up and try to aquire your targets and then learn how to slow your heart rate down.

What works for me or the other posters here may or may not work for you.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled cigar.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2424 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Go with the 30-30 Win.

Federal .45 acp. - 230 Gr. FMJ, 404 ft./lbs. of energy & 890 ft./sec. Muzzle Velocity

Federal 30-30 Win. - 170 Gr. SP, 1827 ft./ lbs. of energy & 2200 ft./sec. M. V.

Using the Marlin 336 in 30-30, you still get 6 + 1 capacity, superior ballistics and a longer sight plain. Save the 1911 for after you've expended all of your 30-30 ammo!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #44

Liked 915 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Well, building up an AR 15 might make sense, but I don't like them.
Yes, definitely build one. But I predict two outcomes from this... given a reasonable time frame "an AR" occurs infrequently in our group. Sure, at first you talk of "one" but give it time and you'll have more! Or certainly want more. The other outcome? Yes, you'll like them!

As a person who tinkered with cars over the decades to make them faster and better; and has to put together the best hand selected components for home audio then later home theater; and building/overclocking my own computers since 1987 ... Yeah, the AR is THE perfect rifle for me!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I don't know why everyone is criticizing Possum.

He understands everything you're all saying.

Its not like this scenario is ever gonna happen anyway. And if it does, be glad he's armed at all. Most people wouldn't be.

Just let the Possum have his thoughts and just smile and nod. "Mhmm, that's nice Possum. Good Possum. Would you like another cigar, Possum?"

We shouldn't spend so much time criticizing each others' preferences. What's the point? None of these hypothetical situations are ever gonna happen anyway. So just let everyone have their fun.

Me? I'll have an 8 shot .357 Magnum revolver (how's that for antiquated technology, huh??), and probably my Winchester 30-30.

I understand the capability of the the AR platform (trust me, I have plenty of trigger time on an M16 and I can hit man-sized targets out to 500 yards 80%+ of the time on iron sights, in the chest), and I want one someday. But we're talking hypotheticals which won't happen so for intents and purposes, I'm gonna be a cowboy with my Winchester 30-30.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 09-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I understand the capability of the the AR platform (trust me, I have plenty of trigger time on an M16 and I can hit man-sized targets out to 500 yards 80%+ of the time on iron sights, in the chest), and I want one someday. But we're talking hypotheticals which won't happen so for intents and purposes, I'm gonna be a cowboy with my Winchester 30-30.
Also, most people's ARs are target rifles. They wouldn't do very well in a full-on combat situation. Even M16s with loose tolerances need to be cleaned constantly. A target style AR15 doesn't stand a chance.

Always have clean socks.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2424 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Here's your soundtrack JW:

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #48

Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

For me, a carbine length '06, and for a sidearm, keeping the same concept, a S&W .357 mag. My 65-2 would work well and I have a Voere '06, built on a Mauser action, that would handle very well.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #49

Liked 342 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Also, most people's ARs are target rifles. They wouldn't do very well in a full-on combat situation. Even M16s with loose tolerances need to be cleaned constantly. A target style AR15 doesn't stand a chance.
Interesting, and just how many tours did you do that brought you to this conclusion?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #50

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

What the heck are you guys talking about???

Quote:
So . . . am I dead meat?
Under your premise, YES you are.

Jim