So . . . am I dead meat? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > So . . . am I dead meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
People not familiar handguns believe they are only good at short ranges. Shooting at mass at 50 yards? Not really practiced hand gunners with proper weapons can be very effective at 100 yards. I would suggest you attend some handgun competitions.
I am very very comfortable and familair with handguns..

yet I have no thoghts about being able to face anyone with a long gun who posses even a modicum of skill at 50 yds

Just like you dont want to bring a knife to a gun fight you dont want to bring a pistol to a rifle fight..

But in all fairness to the OP, he did not exclude using longguns, only that he prefers handgun up to a greater range than most of us

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #22

Liked 1116 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]A little TX. I'm partial to a 1911 as well, more range and tactical time than with anything else and, pro shooters aside, I'm as good as anyone I've ever seen, That said, to the question. I'm a firm advocate that if there's gonna be a gunfight, I want something that takes two hands to carry/operate. A handgun, any handgun, is strictly back-up. Might even leave it behind to make more room for long gun ammo. MHO you understand.
Remember, I have a lever or bolt gun for distances over approx. 50 yards; the pistol is for relatively short ranges (although admittedly not short for a handgun). So, assuming I can hit a man sized target at 50 yards, what's the severe handicap?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #23

Liked 376 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Like I said TX, just MHO.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
I am very very comfortable and familair with handguns..

yet I have no thoghts about being able to face anyone with a long gun who posses even a modicum of skill at 50 yds

Just like you dont want to bring a knife to a gun fight you dont want to bring a pistol to a rifle fight..

But in all fairness to the OP, he did not exclude using longguns, only that he prefers handgun up to a greater range than most of us
Not currently having a "black" rifle, under 50 yards I feel that I can deliver a faster rate of fire with a couple of 1911's, considering the reload time for a lever or a bolt action rifle. With the realization that there is a great difference between target shooting and a combat situation, I do not think that a man sized target is overly difficult to hit at 50 yards or less.

Plus, my original Walter Mitty fantasy did not specifically involve going up against a regular army group, in against bad 'uns in a zombie apocalypse situation. Although, as previously stated, if I'm going up against a regular army group, I'm probably toast regardless of what weapon I have.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Like I said TX, just MHO.
But what if your criticism of my proposed technique saves someone else from saying, "hey that's a good idea", ?

Now, I am NOT saying that it is better than being armed, with say, a M1A, which (excepting the M1) is the only "combat" rifle that sorta appeals to me. Okay, there's the HK 91, but I can't afford one. I am saying that if my long gun is a bolt or lever gun, for reasons I've stated above using a 1911 at 50 yards or less is my best option.

Now, for those of y'all concerned about the ol' possum's welfare (not to mention mental stability), a suggestion would be to take up a collection and buy possum a suitable battle rifle.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

In a shtf scenario I'm gonna pop you with a 22wmr or a poison tipped arrow. Either way you won't know where it came from. Lol
In honesty, what you have to ask yourself is how well do you do with the pistol when you're heart rate is up and you're breathing is heavy. Target shooting is not the same as a combat situation.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1685 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1273

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
It'll just slow 'em down.

Seriously . . . if I've got an army after me, I'm so ****ed anyway that it won't make that much difference.
I no longer own an auto shooter rifle either and the only one I did was a model 7400 Remington. However out past 200 yds. it would be a good bolt gun and once they get inside that probably switch to a lever. There's plenty of both around here to do the trick I think. When they start getting inside of 25 yds. that's when the 1911 comes out.
You go ahead and slow em down!!! I am sure there will be some of us near by to pick them off...............

Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
................ I do not think that a man sized target is overly difficult to hit at 50 yards or less....................
So why isn't the opposing force using cover? Your mansized target just got smaller if he had any battle skillz.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #29

Of course, in a perfect world, I would have a cart full of guns and a gun bearer/caddy.

Gun bearer: "Sah, there is a slight crosswind coming from the left, and the rangefinder lists the distance at 237 yards. May I suggest the Springfield?"

Possum: "Thank you, Gunga Din. Good suggestion". BANG!

Gun bearer: "Some miscreants approaching through the woods at two o'clock, Sah. Approximately 35 yards. May I hand you your pistols?"

Possum: "Absolutley, Gunga Din."

POW! POW! POW! POW!

Gun bearer: "Nice shooting, Sah. All headshots. You didn't spoil the meat."

Possum: "Thank, you Gung . . . WHAT did you just say?"

Gun bearer: "Er . . . jolly good shooting, sah. May I suggest a that a cigar is now in order?"

Possum: "Great idea, Gunga Din. Hand me the Fuentes"

Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
So why isn't the opposing force using cover? Your mansized target just got smaller if he had any battle skillz.
They have to move sometime to come get me.

Why are you always so negative?