Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   So . . . am I dead meat? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/so-am-i-dead-meat-97363/)

txpossum 09-20-2013 02:36 AM

So . . . am I dead meat?

1 Attachment(s)
There is another thread on the forum asking the question "if there were no semi-automatics, what rifle would you use in battle", or words to that effect.

As I don't own an AR-15, AK 47, or even an SKS, I've thought about this. I alternate between a bolt action 30-06 or a lever action 30-30. But my rationale is that I'd only use a rifle as my primary weapon for ranges over 50 yards, and for closer encounters I'd use one or more 1911's as my primary weapon. I am more familiar with the 1911 than anything else, am reasonably proficient with them, and at 50 yards and under believe that I would be more effective with one than with any other gun I own.

Overconfident? Mebbe. But pistols are my first love, and I am much more instinctive with the 1911 than anything else, and wouldn't feel undergunned.

So . . . am I a modern day Hipshot Percussion (showing my age here) or merely delusional?

bluez 09-20-2013 02:39 AM

I dunno.. at 50 yards no matter how good you w/ a handgun, just about any guy with a long arm will be better. just my 2 cents :)

Axxe55 09-20-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1377772)
There is another thread on the forum asking the question "if there were no semi-automatics, what rifle would you use in battle", or words to that effect.

As I don't own an AR-15, AK 47, or even an SKS, I've thought about this. I alternate between a bolt action 30-06 or a lever action 30-30. But my rationale is that I'd only use a rifle as my primary weapon for ranges over 50 yards, and for closer encounters I'd use one or more 1911's as my primary weapon. I am more familiar with the 1911 than anything else, am reasonably proficient with them, and at 50 yards and under believe that I would be more effective with one than with any other gun I own.

Overconfident? Mebbe. But pistols are my first love, and I am much more instinctive with the 1911 than anything else, and wouldn't feel undergunned.

So . . . am I a modern day Hipshot Percussion (showing my age here) or merely delusional?

not delusional at all. lots of people are good pistol shots and if you practice and can hit what you aim at at that yardage, then i see no problem.

Anna_Purna 09-20-2013 02:50 AM

So how much energy in foot pounds is your 45acp at 50 yards, and what if the opposing army is wearing battle gear?

txpossum 09-20-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluez (Post 1377774)
I dunno.. at 50 yard no matter how good you w/ a handgun, are a guy with a long arm will be better. just my 2 cents :)

I realize that practice could cure this, but I've shot the M-16 and AR-15;and owned a Russian SKS and a Mini-14, but they just didn't feel right and I didn't especially enjoy shooting them. I did like the M-14, which I why I am considering a M1A. But a properly tuned 1911 . . . that makes music.

txpossum 09-20-2013 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1377784)
So how much energy in foot pounds is your 45acp at 50 yards, and what if the opposing army is wearing battle gear?

It'll just slow 'em down.

Seriously . . . if I've got an army after me, I'm so ****ed anyway that it won't make that much difference.

Anna_Purna 09-20-2013 02:59 AM

And so what if they are not out in the open, like a gunfight at the ok corral, and hiding behind a log or some kind of cover. Then what? With something like an AK-47, and steel core bullets, a lot of your cover may not be so protective.

txpossum 09-20-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1377796)
And so what if they are not out in the open, like a gunfight at the ok corral, and hiding behind a log or some kind of cover. Then what? With something like an AK-47, and steel core bullets, a lot of your cover may not be so protective.

Oh. So if I have an AR-15 the log I'm hiding behind will be harder?

nitestalker 09-20-2013 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
During the Irish Revolution 2 Irish snipers had 240 confirmed kills using the C96 Mauser Pistols with detachable shoulder stocks. The "Brits" were armed with the .303 Enfelds. The 7.63 X 25 cartridge carried a 90 Grs. FMJ at 1,400 Fps. many of the kills were at 100 yards. The Irish referred to the Broom Handle Mauser as "Peter the Painter" . Old Peter mad it rough on the Red Coats.:)

These were serious battle weapons for 2 world wars and many revolutions.;)

txpossum 09-20-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1377804)
During the Irish Revolution 2 Irish snipers had 240 confirmed kills using the C96 Mauser Pistols with detachable shoulder stocks. The "Brits" were armed with the .303 Enfelds. The 7.63 X 25 cartridge carried a 90 Grs. FMJ at 1,400 Fps. many of the kills were at 100 yards. The Irish referred to the Broom Handle Mauser as "Peter the Painter" . Old Peter mad it rough on the Red Coats.:)

These were serious battle weapons for 2 world wars and many revolutions.;)

Éirinn go Brách