Snow wheel drive - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Snow wheel drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I only used it once really and that was to pull a little sports car out of a drift because she "thought it didn't look that deep"

Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Tires make a bigger difference than whether the vehicle has four wheel, all wheel, front, or rear wheel drive. Clearance too, in the case of deep / blowing snow.

I have Blizzaks on my RWD BMW and do better than most of the SUVs and Jeeps on slick roads.

Experience plays a lot into it too; lots of folks get 4WD / AWD / FWD thinking they're immune to slimy roads. I saw dozens of them in the ditch driving into Michigan from Chicago last weekend.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2469 Times on 1323 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Tires make a bigger difference than whether the vehicle has four wheel, all wheel, front, or rear wheel drive. Clearance too, in the case of deep / blowing snow.

I have Blizzaks on my RWD BMW and do better than most of the SUVs and Jeeps on slick roads.

Experience plays a lot into it too; lots of folks get 4WD / AWD / FWD thinking they're immune to slimy roads. I saw dozens of them in the ditch driving into Michigan from Chicago last weekend.
Quoted for truth.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #14

Liked 406 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post

damn straight. for 8 years, my daily driver was my '65 Galaxie, only got it stuck twice & that was from me screwin around. most times a careful foot & good tires are all you need.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7501 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 8405

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
damn straight. for 8 years, my daily driver was my '65 Galaxie, only got it stuck twice & that was from me screwin around. most times a careful foot & good tires are all you need.
Like my old Cordoba! It was a monster in the snow with good tire, just had to try to keep my foot out of the carb. I loved the sound of that Thermo-Quad kicking in but wouldnt have liked to put gas in it today! Pass anything but a gas station! The poor thing died protecting its stupid owner at 60 MPH against a 5' wide Maple tree! I nearly died, the tree and Cordoba both bit the dust...

Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #16

Liked 1911 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

If you only have 2WD, you’re just not able to get stuck as far off the road as you could if you had 4WD.

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7501 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 8405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
If you only have 2WD, you’re just not able to get stuck as far off the road as you could if you had 4WD.
So true! We were much more careful when the plows only came half as often and rarely spread salt. Stay in the paths and fight the urge to turn the wheel quick or slam on the breaks and just kinda putter along. Ive had 4WD for 20+ years (Boonies in Upstate NY) and will never be without it but its for the really crappy 5% of the worst weather I own it, not daily usage by any means. I might use it to get out of my driveway in a few minutes (4" of fresh snow Im to lazy to move, I will get it later!) but will turn it off immediately when I hit the hardball even though theirs a good inch of crap on the road.

I would suggest owners of 4WD's engage it on a strait-away/ in the rain/ in any snow/ every month or at least every couple cause things that dont get used often dont work when you need them most. Ive got new tires and my Dakota will plow through most anything as long as I am not in a dumb hurry.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #18

Liked 1911 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
. . .My question is, while it is 4-wheel drive, do I need high or low gear? . . .
4WD/low is for pulling other people out who got stuck because they thought they could go anywhere because they had 4WD.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2469 Times on 1323 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Like my old Cordoba! It was a monster in the snow with good tire, just had to try to keep my foot out of the carb. I loved the sound of that Thermo-Quad kicking in but wouldnt have liked to put gas in it today! Pass anything but a gas station! The poor thing died protecting its stupid owner at 60 MPH against a 5' wide Maple tree! I nearly died, the tree and Cordoba both bit the dust...
Ah yes... the rich Corinthian leather.

My grandmother had one of those. Always liked that car.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA