Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Snow wheel drive (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/snow-wheel-drive-79319/)

ShagNasty1001 12-24-2012 08:17 PM

So now it's Oklahoma's turn to get hammered by this storm that's sweeping across the country. I work about 30 miles away from my house and there's no way in hell I'm driving my car (it's a little Audi) so I commandeered my sisters wrangler because my family is out of town for Christmas. My question is, while it is 4-wheel drive, do I need high or low gear? I've taken it mudding and what not on the river and always use high but I haven't driven it in the snow yet

dog2000tj 12-24-2012 08:20 PM

hi should be fine, low is for crawling off road ;)

ShagNasty1001 12-24-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj
hi should be fine, low is for crawling off road ;)

I'll be sure to throw it in low then haha I'm excited for the drive home since they're predicting 4-6" but when they said that 2 years ago, it ended up bringing 12 foot snow drifts

ScottA 12-24-2012 08:24 PM

It will be a long drive in low. Just stick with high. And unless you have 6"+ on the roads, your Audi should be fine with decent tires. I have no problems here in Iowa with my VW.

Huntbear 12-24-2012 08:33 PM

4 wheel high. Just remember 4x4 does not mean it stops any faster... it will get you going, and keep you going, but WILL NOT help you stop.. Give yourself lots of room.

ShagNasty1001 12-26-2012 03:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well here's our "super snow storm" we were supposed to have... I wasn't really impressed but still loved the fact I was able to pull a few people out of the snow drifts that were found. It was mainly ice covered by a couple inches of snow

ScottA 12-26-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 (Post 1066483)
Well here's our "super snow storm" we were supposed to have... I wasn't really impressed but still loved the fact I was able to pull a few people out of the snow drifts that were found. It was mainly ice covered by a couple inches of snow

Snow on ice is much worse than snow alone.

WebleyFosbery38 12-27-2012 01:14 PM

We got 15" last night, I just got done moving it all out of the driveway with my older cub cadet and blower attachment. Luckily (Purposely), Both My Wife and I have 4WD and we just drive right through it. Snows still coming down pretty good, prolly another 6 to 8" more before it blows through later on tonight. NBD, just another day in Upstate paradise! If we were in NYC, FEMA would be lining up to help, here, whe just move the crap and drive on.

As far as 4wd goes, u better have more snow than me to drive one on the road in Low 4, High 4 is fine on 2-12", u just have to slow way down and be careful with the brake and the changes in direction, if the road has dry or barely wet spots, 2 WD. 4WD will throw you like a bronco and send you off in every which direction except where U want to go if your not careful.

tri70 12-27-2012 02:10 PM

I used to have an 84' CJ7, I had 33" mud/snow tires but if I got in snow I had to be extra careful, Jeeps will slide easy. I drove in 4 HI in snow, but we get the same weather usually, ice/snow mix.

jjfuller1 12-27-2012 03:35 PM

4 low is for pulling my big brothers f250 turbo diesel and plow out of the mudd and snow with my little ram 1500. lol. 4 high is for normal driving. in sucky conditions. its great for going. has no effect on stopping.