Smoking and Grilling! - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Like they said, brisket is a good start, because it is pretty forgiving. One of my friend will smoke it for an hour or two and then wrap it in foil and add a little apple cider to add moisture and hep tenderize.

You want to watch it and check it but not too much. If your lookin' you're not cookin'.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #72

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I have discovered a great fast method fro grilling salmon that turns out great. Cedar plank grilling.
x2

A salmon fillet cooked on a well soaked cedar plank, which process you described very well, is unbelievably tasty.

We've done ours slightly differently - no skin on the fillet and not much more than lemon pepper for seasoning. Regardless, it is so good that I don't think a person can foul up.

ps: Costco sells the planks up here in packages - fairly cheap.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #73
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
But will I ruin a piece of meat while learning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
There is a chance. It's part of the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Like they said, brisket is a good start, because it is pretty forgiving. One of my friend will smoke it for an hour or two and then wrap it in foil and add a little apple cider to add moisture and hep tenderize.

You want to watch it and check it but not too much. If your lookin' you're not cookin'.
both of these are good points. i will add this. brisket IMO is a good meat to learn on. if seasoned well and having some smoke flavoring, usually the worst thing that will happen is the meat might come out a little tough. i can always myself eat a tough cut of meat, as long as it tastes good. and usually brisket is pretty inexpensive so even if it doesn't come out perfect, it's not a huge loss. dogs will eat it for sure! i am not above using my dogs as taste testers!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #74
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9082 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

They also sell these remote thermometers so you can monitor the interior heat without opening the lid so you don't lose any heat. Use one thermometer to monitor the temp of the smoker and the remote read thermometer should have the tip stuck into the center of the meat.

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Digital-In-Oven-Thermometer-Graphite/dp/B000P6FLOY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1374119876&sr=8-12&keywords=digital+smoker+thermometer
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #75
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8799 Times on 5254 Posts
Likes Given: 11672

I do have a remote thermometer. I was told not to trust the one built in on the smoker.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #76

Quote:
I do have a remote thermometer. I was told not to trust the one built in on the smoker.
i have two thermometers mounted in the lid of my smoker. there can be as much as 20 degrees difference from one side to the other. the other temperature you need to monitor is the internal temperature of the meat itself. needs to reach at least 160 degrees or more to kill off any micro-organisms and bacteria in the meat. this is another reason that maintaining a consistent temperature is important so the meat can reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees or more. if the external temperature is incosistent, it's harder for the internal temperature of the meat to stabilize.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

go to the site I linked... it's awesome

Get a boston butt (aka pork shoulder) It is easily the most forgiving of all the meets

Maverick ET732 is your friend
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
go to the site I linked... it's awesome

Get a boston butt (aka pork shoulder) It is easily the most forgiving of all the meets

Maverick ET732 is your friend
i agree the Boston butt isalso a good chunk of meat to learn to smoke. cooked pretty much like a brisket.

just got out and cut up a large 6-7" diameter limb that broke out of a tree the other day with my chainsaw. i now have some more wood for smoking!

the summers have been very dry the past few years and is causing limbs to break off due to lack of moisture in the sap. i probably will be able to start using this wood in my smoker in about 1-2 weeks after i split it.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #79
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2504 Times on 1519 Posts
Likes Given: 13814

for the truely adventurus on here, I submit this. get a copy of Maniflod Destiny a guide to cooking on your car's engine. I did this about 10 years ago while on a road trip out west. My co-driver caught a rainbow trout while we were resting by a small lake in Colorado. We stopped in town for some aluminum foil, lemon pepper, and seasoned salt. Dressed the fish, sprinkled on the seasonings, wrapped it in the foil, and placed on the intake manifold of my truck. We drove about 3 and a half hours toi our hotel for the night, pulled out the fish, unwrapped it, and devoured it in no time flat along with salads that we made on the tailgate. Great eats for road food.

back on subject. If you want to smoke fish, lets say some chunks of lake trout, fill a large bowl with cold water, defrost the fish, or brine it while fresh using 2 cups of table salt and a half cup of light brown sugar for 24 to 48 hours. Get your fire going in the smoker then ad some soaked chunks of apple and cherry wood to your fire. keep the temp. in the smoker around 200 to 250 F. for 2 to 3 hours. Put in the fridge overnight or serve hot with crackers. this can also be done with the whole fish to serve larger groups . Enjoy.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Go onto the net and search ALTON BROWN.. "Good Eats" (food network) and all will be solved Lots of video "how to's" great recipes etc.

Become steel or get cut.