Smoking and Grilling! - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

We have a Traeger and love it, but its almost too easy. I have several large pressure vessels (a compressed air tank and a couple of propane tanks) that I plan on making a smoker out of but I haven't decided on my design yet. Its only been about ten years since I got the first one so I am in no hurry obviously. I just want it to be perfect when its done. Any design ideas? I am quite handy with the torch and have all sorts of mad metal fabricating skills. I am thinking of putting two tanks Siamese style with a long smoke tube along the underside that would spread the heat evenly from the bottom and let the cooler smoke into the cooking chamber at the end. Sort of like a rocket stove style.
People Like This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1058 Times on 569 Posts

Warning, extreme language ahead, you have been warned!!!!

http://www.theawl.com/2009/11/how-to-cook-a-****ing-steak

Ok, that aside, I have a digital smoker that looks like a mini fridge. It works very well for all ribs and roasts but I don't think I could get a turkey or brisket in it. I tried building/modifying some grills but had too hard of a time maintaining temperature. I think I'll save up and get one of the larger traegers eventually.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post

Ok, that aside, I have a digital smoker that looks like a mini fridge. It works very well for all ribs and roasts but I don't think I could get a turkey or brisket in it. I tried building/modifying some grills but had too hard of a time maintaining temperature. I think I'll save up and get one of the larger traegers eventually.
The link doesn't work.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
We have a Traeger and love it, but its almost too easy. I have several large pressure vessels (a compressed air tank and a couple of propane tanks) that I plan on making a smoker out of but I haven't decided on my design yet. Its only been about ten years since I got the first one so I am in no hurry obviously. I just want it to be perfect when its done. Any design ideas? I am quite handy with the torch and have all sorts of mad metal fabricating skills. I am thinking of putting two tanks Siamese style with a long smoke tube along the underside that would spread the heat evenly from the bottom and let the cooler smoke into the cooking chamber at the end. Sort of like a rocket stove style.
my smoker is based on an indirect smoking design. it's pretty close to what most people build or buy around where i live. it's a very simple and effective design and for the most part, pretty simple to build. many times, smokers around my area are built from whatever someone has laying around. most of the materials i used came from a job i worked at and was scrap. i have seen people use old residential propane tanks to build smokers our of. my previos one was made from a 55 gallon drum and part of a 30 gallon drum. i didn't care for it too much, because it was too flimsy. my current one works quite well for me. i can control the temperature very easily, it's not a wood hog and it's just the right size for my needs.

the design you are thinking about is what i think of cool smoking. very indirect smoking method and lots of people use that type of smoker with great results. but it usually takes a bit longer to smoke the meat. my smoker usually runs in the 250-275 degree range with a maximum of about 350 degrees. the type you are thinking about would probably run 250 and less. the lower the temperature the longer it takes, but the more tender the meat when finished. mine i consider to be a good compromise and still will run between 8 to 12 hours for cooking, depending on what i'm smoking.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #35

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Holy smokes! You guys with "Texas" or "Tex" in your signature are wayyyyy beyond my propane BBQ world. I'm just finishing a much-needed diet and can't look at any more pictures...moisture is not good for a keyboard.
Smoking and Grilling! - The Club House
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1058 Times on 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

The link doesn't work.
I think the link was modified when posted, just take out the **** and substitute with appropriate term =)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #37

Quote:

Tank, controlling the temperature is the key to good smoking. the less fluctuations in temperature the better. some of mine was trial and error to get it to the point it is now. the way mine is set up, i can control my temperature very easy throughout the entire period of smoking with very little variation in temperature. i simply looked at similiar pit smokers and adapted to work on mine until i found the right combination. the first six months with mine was a b!&*h to get working correctly! now it works perfectly.
People Like This 
Old 07-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #38

Quote:
I think the link was modified when posted, just take out the **** and substitute with appropriate term =)

Well duh! That was ****ing stupid of me!
People Like This 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
my smoker is based on an indirect smoking design. it's pretty close to what most people build or buy around where i live. it's a very simple and effective design and for the most part, pretty simple to build. many times, smokers around my area are built from whatever someone has laying around. most of the materials i used came from a job i worked at and was scrap. i have seen people use old residential propane tanks to build smokers our of. my previos one was made from a 55 gallon drum and part of a 30 gallon drum. i didn't care for it too much, because it was too flimsy. my current one works quite well for me. i can control the temperature very easily, it's not a wood hog and it's just the right size for my needs.

the design you are thinking about is what i think of cool smoking. very indirect smoking method and lots of people use that type of smoker with great results. but it usually takes a bit longer to smoke the meat. my smoker usually runs in the 250-275 degree range with a maximum of about 350 degrees. the type you are thinking about would probably run 250 and less. the lower the temperature the longer it takes, but the more tender the meat when finished. mine i consider to be a good compromise and still will run between 8 to 12 hours for cooking, depending on what i'm smoking.
The design I am considering would be a cool smoker. I am planning the firebox so that I can load it up and it will burn for 24 hours on the one load. That is the rocket stove part of it. I might mock one up out of some steel drums to try out the concept, so I don't 'waste' the much heavier pressure vessels I have. The only issue I might have trouble with is that the rocket stove burn is very clean so there is little smoke. I may very well have to have a secondary smoke generator for that reason. I just need to do the proof of concept.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The design I am considering would be a cool smoker. I am planning the firebox so that I can load it up and it will burn for 24 hours on the one load. That is the rocket stove part of it. I might mock one up out of some steel drums to try out the concept, so I don't 'waste' the much heavier pressure vessels I have. The only issue I might have trouble with is that the rocket stove burn is very clean so there is little smoke. I may very well have to have a secondary smoke generator for that reason. I just need to do the proof of concept.
gotta have the smoke! the smoke does all the work and what makes the meat taste good. many of the cool smokers i have seen use a divorced firebox from the pit and just vent the smoke through the pit and out the stack. i am not familiar with the rocket stove concept, but it does sound interesting.

my next idea for a smoker is a brick smoker. built similiar to a smokehouse for curing meat. also it will be a cool smoker. my idea is to be able to cook at about 200-225 degrees consistently. i am still working on the design for this one.
Vikingdad Likes This