Smoking and Grilling! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
NEVER, EVER any fun made about smoking meat!....Ever. Electric, propane, charcoal, wood....it's all good! No shame around the smoker if you are working it!
Do you remove the membrane from the back of your ribs?
i think a lot of it is regional or based on a person's circumstances as to their method of grilling or smoking. i have been lucky to have the room for larger smokers and the indirect smokers are a preference. what matters is, the final product.

on the one pictured in my post, it has two thermometers in the lid. and there can be as much as a 20-25 degree temperature difference from one side compared to the other. controlling and keeping a consistent heat is critical in smoking. using my smoker when cooking for long periods of time, can be very time consuming. i have to monitor and adjust accordingly. also have to keep an eye on my firebox and am constantly having to add wood.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #22

beings the thread is named Smoking and Grilling, i will discuss my methods for grilling as well.

grilling is usually done hot and fast for most meats. for steaks, i like a very good and high quality cut for grilling outside. what i have learned is that the better the quality of the steak when grilling, the better the results will be. personally i look for one that has a good fat to lean ratio. the fat helps flavor the meat. i like to use a cut that's about an inch to inch and a quarter thick. i like to marinate my steaks in Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce for about an hour before grilling. right before putting them on the grille, i season them with course salt and pepper. sometimes a little garlic pepper to add a little different flavor profile to the steak. the way i test for heat, is to place my hand right over the grille. if i can only hold it there for a couple of seconds, it's hot enough. right before putting them on the grille, i spray them with vegatable oil on both sides then place them on the grille. i cook them about 6-8 minutes per side and with the amount of heat and the thickness of the steak, this will be about a medium to medium rare. not bleeding but dark pink on the inside when cut. i also usenothing but tongs to turn my steaks and never pucture with a fork, as this will allow the natural juices to run out. i also spray my steaks with vegatable oil while cooking to keep the meat moist. this is a technique i learned just a few years ago and make a big difference in the moistness of the meat when finished. during the final minutes of cooking, i also put a small amount of Tabasco sauce or Frank's red Hot sauce on the steaks, using a brush to spread it. i allow this to sear into the meat. it doesn't come out hot in the least, but does add some flavor to the meat. when they are ready to remove, i put them on a platter and let them sit for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. adjust your cook times depending on the thickness of the meat or desired doneness.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8652 Times on 5162 Posts
Likes Given: 11391

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
You had to say PROPAIN.................Not in my yard................lol..............Go out and fill your boat wit dem silver carp. Put that in your smoker to feed the masses. Makes some good eating...........
I don't have any propane, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
Winds you need to just load the thing up and come down to Texas for the sept 7-8 thing smoke an shoot lol how better can it get???
I hear it won't be safe if Robo and Notdku are both going to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
Do you remove the membrane from the back of your ribs?
Yes, absolutely.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-10-2013 at 12:57 PM.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Mem Brain...............

He$$ no, thats what holds the juices in................Ribs should be put meat side down first. After the meat is seared and you have good colour then meat side up and don't turn over again. Dem bones will be worth eating........
People Like This 
Old 07-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #25

Liked 2816 Times on 1830 Posts

I have an r2d2 smoker I have used a few times. A couple turkeys have met their demise on it. The worst thing about it is the time, which I'm always short on. I remember waking up at 3am to start the thanksgiving turkey to be served at 1pm. Seasoned with lemon, onion, olive oil, and seasoned salt and pepper. It turned out great, and was worth missing sleep for.

I grill on propane, for previously mentioned lack of time, and convenience. Not cleaning it enough adds to the flavor redneck style! I just grilled up some venison tenderloins yesterday. They marinated two days, cooked eight minutes per side, and were fork-cuttable mouthwateringly delicious! I sided them with potatoes halved and buttered, cooked on the grill.

A little tip I learned from someone who used to work for a bbq chicken caterer: buy a new spray bottle from a hardware store. Fill with equal parts vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and water. Maybe go a little heavy on the water/light on the vinegar.Add a splash of liquid smoke, if desired. Spray the meat every time you flip it, and it will stay very moist! Doing this can even make a beginner look like a well seasoned grillmaster.
People Like This 
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #26

grilling chicken. when grilling chicken, i like a little lower heat and grill just a little longer to insure the meat is done. when doing boneless chicken breasts for fajitas, i like to marinate the meat for at least 2-3 hours in a spicy vinegar based marinade. i like to cook about 20-30 minutes depending on the size. when cooking legs and thighs, about 15-20 minutes and puttiing the BBQ sauce on the meat at the final 5 minutes of cooking so as not to burn it. i put my sauce in a bowl and use a brush and paint the chicken with it.

vegatables and breads are good when cooked or heated on the grille too. i like to lightly butter and season some hole loaf bread, sliced in half and warmed on the grille until lightly toasted.

vegatables,depending on what they are or how i want to prepare them are also cooked on the grille. some times i use some tin foil and make a basket and put some seasonings and butter and the vegatables in it and then put them directly over the coals. some times i will slice vegatables, alternating them on skewers and cook them that way with a little oil and seasonings.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #27

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I have propane for every day cooking.

I have a weber for family dinners where the boys stand around the grill drinking a nice smooth bock.

I have a smoker big smoker for when I want to feed the masses. I had one that could do 2 whole hogs at the same time. Now I am down to one that will do 1 hog. I mix my wood too pecan, apple, cherry, and some others.

Then I have a Weber Smokey Mtn. cooker for smoaking cheese. HUMMMMMMM smoked cheese.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Call me when you smoke ice
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #29

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Yeah no ice smoking.

unless you are talking about Ice as in Ice cubes.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I have propane for every day cooking.

I have a weber for family dinners where the boys stand around the grill drinking a nice smooth bock.

I have a smoker big smoker for when I want to feed the masses. I had one that could do 2 whole hogs at the same time. Now I am down to one that will do 1 hog. I mix my wood too pecan, apple, cherry, and some others.

Then I have a Weber Smokey Mtn. cooker for smoaking cheese. HUMMMMMMM smoked cheese.
i had a guy that a few months ago wanted to trade a trailer mounted smoker and grille for my boat. it was a really nice rig and would have probably done 30 briskets easily! i just don't have a need for a smoker that big. my smoke that i built can handle three large briskets or two large turkeys with ease and that's big enough for all the cooking i will ever do for family functions. plus the larger the smoker, the more wood they use. it's enough trying to feed wood to the one i have now.