Smoking and Grilling! - Page 29
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #281
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
My first smoker is electric... Absolutely love it. Thing is amazing! After 3 years, it's beginning to show some problems with the electronics and needs to be replaced. I have a Weber NG Grille which I mostly like. NG just doesn't get hot enough to do an adequate reverse sear. But, don't expect the grill to go anywhere.

So, for a smoker unit only, what should I be looking at?
for a smoker, i like simple. something with a decent sized firebox that is seperate from the smoker portion and has the size to hold at least 3 decent sized briskets or two large turkeys.

to be honest, there are just too many out there being sold and it comes down to mainly personal preference and style of cooking you like to do. for at least the last 20 years or so i have built all of my smokers instead of buying, so i am less informed in what's available to the consumer.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #282
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxRomantic View Post
Whatever, I've built more smokers/grills with a stick welder and some old

conductor, than most on this or any other site.....

Seen, and used, some brilliant designs by others......

Controlled feed is the answer to any grilling conundrum......

Tools are supposed to make life easier.....

I suppose you could defend your house with a musket and a axe ??????

Here this is one that I built and I go to a couple BBQ cook offs ATTACH]142932[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1398524822.815714.jpg  

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

People Like This 
Old 04-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #283
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 983 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Are we taking the same pellets that you burn in the heating stoves? If so, wouldn't those give the meat a yucky taste, depending on what the pellets were made of? I'd have to say, I'm probably a fan of smoking and firing with wood only. CardiacColt, how did you get your smoker to only drop 60 degrees when not being watched for I'm guessing 6+ hours?

No sir. These pellets are specifically developed to be used in pellet grills. They are blends of woods used for smoking meat. Ie. mesquite, pecan, oak, apple....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
clr8ter Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #284

fruitwoods make excellent wood for smoking. they have a very mild smoke flavoring that is added to the meat while cooking.

a couple of years ago, my brother cut down a dead aplle tree in his yard and hauled it down here to the farm for disposal. i cut quite a bit of the larger portions into wood for my smoker. it worked great and turkeys had an awesome flavor to them. i just wish i had more of it.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #285

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

If you weren't in Texas, I'd tell you you could come over here and get all you want. We have several very large apples that are probably coming down this spring.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
If you weren't in Texas, I'd tell you you could come over here and get all you want. We have several very large apples that are probably coming down this spring.
thanks. much appreciated! but with gas prices what they are, the drive up there and back would make that some pretty expensive wood for the smoker!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #287
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2116

Default True or false..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
thanks. much appreciated! but with gas prices what they are, the drive up there and back would make that some pretty expensive wood for the smoker!
I've heard they use wood to run trucks, with the right equipment. That being the case you could get up there and back on the scraps of lumber by the way side.................And if you hall the pit, you can cook and eat on the way there and back and sell any thing left over............Now thats what I call burning up the highway..............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

People Like This 
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #288
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 695 Times on 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
fruitwoods make excellent wood for smoking. they have a very mild smoke flavoring that is added to the meat while cooking.

a couple of years ago, my brother cut down a dead aplle tree in his yard and hauled it down here to the farm for disposal. i cut quite a bit of the larger portions into wood for my smoker. it worked great and turkeys had an awesome flavor to them. i just wish i had more of it.

0.o

Wish I had an orchard, take down an old tree, chip it and sell 1lb backs for $5 a piece!!!!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
0.o

Wish I had an orchard, take down an old tree, chip it and sell 1lb backs for $5 a piece!!!!

take the $5 and buy another tree to start all over again!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #290

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
I've heard they use wood to run trucks, with the right equipment. That being the case you could get up there and back on the scraps of lumber by the way side.................And if you hall the pit, you can cook and eat on the way there and back and sell any thing left over............Now thats what I call burning up the highway..............
True. It's called a wood gas generator. Basically, you use heat to turn wood into a flammable gas. That gas can be used directly to power an engine, or it can be compressed for later use. I think it'd be more useful powering stationary equipment, but apparently in Europe during WWII it was used to power vehicles. Check it out on You Tube.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Axxe55 Likes This