Smoking and Grilling! - Page 28
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #271
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
A pellet smoker is for guys that don't know the first thing about smoking and BBQ

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Whatever, I've built more smokers/grills with a stick welder and some old

conductor, than most on this or any other site.....

Seen, and used, some brilliant designs by others......

Controlled feed is the answer to any grilling conundrum......

Tools are supposed to make life easier.....

I suppose you could defend your house with a musket and a axe ??????

Old 04-26-2014, 03:48 AM   #272
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 702 Times on 466 Posts

I have been researching the pellet grills for a new cabin we're building in the mountains. I need something barbecue enthusiasts and rookies can all use. They pellet grills seem like a great answer. The only thing I don't like is needing power. I like being able to grill if a storm hits and power is gone. I am now thinking pellet grill with a fire pit or outdoor fireplace as a backup plan.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #273

Liked 1114 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxRomantic View Post
Only one word: Traeger!!!!!!! Use these pellet grills/smokers and you will throw your old grill away!!!!! Smokes, grills, bakes. Choose your pellet wood and get after it !

Meat, veggies and dough on the same cooking surface!

Apple wood smoked apple pie? yep, you can do it on a Traeger!

Throw bacon on the thing at 325 and leave it for 30 min, perfect! No turning.

Put a pan of biscuits on at half way and you are good to go,

There is nothing you cannot cook on a traeger!

When we rebuilt our deck, the 300# Jenn air, came down and never came back.

Traeger, Traeger, Traeger!!!!!!

Did I tell you I like my Traeger.

Absolutely love the pellet grills! But Green Mountain is what I use I've got a full size Daniel Boone at home and just broke in my brand new portable
Davy Crockett tonight while we are out in our travel trailer.
Attachment 142922
Attachment 142923
Cooked some bison burgers on it tonight.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 04-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #274
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
Absolutely love the pellet grills! But Green Mountain is what I use I've got a full size Daniel Boone at home and just broke in my brand new portable
Davy Crockett tonight while we are out in our travel trailer.
Attachment 142922
Attachment 142923
Cooked some bison burgers on it tonight.

Green mountain is made by a Traeger brother.....

They were in together and got cross I guess.. And built off the family design.

Like Zildian and Sabian cymbals .......

Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #275
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Oh wow John! I treat everyone here like Friends, until they show me otherwise, so since I'm your FRIEND, here is my BBQ Meatloaf recipe! 1 Lb of Ground meat( or 2 to 3lbs if having company over) 1/4cup breadcrumbs(any way you like them)
1/2 Cup of your Fave BBQ sauce. 1/4 or 1/2 of an onion, Diced, 1/2 Tsp Garlic Salt or Garlic Power, 1/4th Tsp Kosher or Sea salt. 1/4tsp Black pepper. Mix all wet & Dry ingredients in a medium bowl and Knead into your loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. serve( 1 Lb feeds 2 adults with enough left over for a 87+ Lb Dog( give him his cooled and un-Sauced).

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
VoxRomantic Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #276
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i guess i'm old fashioned and like the older methods of smoking meat with wood. i prefer the seperate firebox style of smokers the best as they are the type i learned to use many years ago from my uncle and my father.

i have built many of my own smokers and grilles over the years and most times have used scrap metal to build them and old tanks of various sizes. mine are nothing fancy, but the results speak for themselves when i cook on them.

cooking technique are more important than a fancy or expensive smoker or grille to cook on.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #277
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here are 3 pork butts I put on at 11 PM last night. Getting ready to wrap them in foil and maintain grill temp so they will be warm and juicy at 1:30 today for my daughter's volleyball team picnic. Went I went to bed at midnight the Egg temp was just a hair under 250. Went I got up to check it at 7 it was sitting at 190 so things worked pretty well overnight. Attachment 142924Attachment 142925

Old 04-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #278

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Are we taking the same pellets that you burn in the heating stoves? If so, wouldn't those give the meat a yucky taste, depending on what the pellets were made of? I'd have to say, I'm probably a fan of smoking and firing with wood only. CardiacColt, how did you get your smoker to only drop 60 degrees when not being watched for I'm guessing 6+ hours?
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #279
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is a Big Green Egg. They are very efficient, and once you get it up to temp, and used to operating the two vents they usually hold pretty well. It dropped about 60 degrees in 7 hours. I have never done an overnight cook before so I started it off a little hot at 250 assuming I'd drop more. I thought if I went down to 150-160 I'd still be OK. As it is, I am pretty happy with the results.

I would assume that the pellets used for cooking are different than the ones used for heat. But maybe not. It probably has something to do with what tempts they are heated to and how much is fed through the grill's hopper.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #280
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1315 Times on 780 Posts
Likes Given: 246

My first smoker is electric... Absolutely love it. Thing is amazing! After 3 years, it's beginning to show some problems with the electronics and needs to be replaced. I have a Weber NG Grille which I mostly like. NG just doesn't get hot enough to do an adequate reverse sear. But, don't expect the grill to go anywhere.

So, for a smoker unit only, what should I be looking at?