Smoking and Grilling! - Page 20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #191
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Braggin rites.............

I sent my favorite sister a 13 # Boston butt charr on the pit then smoked, like I did the last two. All she cold say was OMG........The internal temp was 170 dogris when I pulled it from the smoker. She et the outer layer but said they still had blood on the in side. I think if she would have waited whilst it was still wrapped in foil it would have set perfect.............Looking forward to do 4 more for X mas..................................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #192

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I sent my favorite sister a 13 # Boston butt charr on the pit then smoked, like I did the last two. All she cold say was OMG........The internal temp was 170 dogris when I pulled it from the smoker. She et the outer layer but said they still had blood on the in side. I think if she would have waited whilst it was still wrapped in foil it would have set perfect.............Looking forward to do 4 more for X mas..................................
Smoke low for as long as desired. Just low so you dont cook juices out. After you think there is enough smoke wrap with foiland increase heat to 250° it may take a few hours but Internal temp should be 200° before pulling off heat let rest in beer cooler for at least 3 to 5 hours. It will literally fall apart juicy.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #193
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Bloody pork????????????????

Me thinks they cut it up as soon as it got home. Some Of mine looks like blood, Its the cayenne pepper mixed with fat. The same as when you buy a fully cooked ham on the bone. The internal temp was 170 dogris and was wrapped in three layers of foil........Over a six hour period in the smoker and three hours over a hot pit, plus the pot of water adding steam to the mix..................It taste like smoked bacon and smoked ham all in one, and you don't need teeth to eat this pork..............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #194
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well as soon as he woods dry out and i can get back there, i'll be cutting wood in preparation for getting it ready to split for my smoker. this year i also want to get more fruitwoods for smoking as well and may harvest a couple of really old peach trees in my father's old orchard. i am also going to look into seeing if i can get some connections that can help supply me with some mesquite wood this year. mesquite is a wonderful wood to smoke with. burnslong and hot and leaves a much lighter smoke flavor to the meat over oak.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #195

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

Mesquite is good, but IMO it has a pretty strong flavor. I usually use a little mesquite mixed with something else. Pecan for poultry, fruit woods for fish and pork. But we all know what opinions are like!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:24 AM   #196
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 513 Times on 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well as soon as he woods dry out and i can get back there, i'll be cutting wood in preparation for getting it ready to split for my smoker. this year i also want to get more fruitwoods for smoking as well and may harvest a couple of really old peach trees in my father's old orchard. i am also going to look into seeing if i can get some connections that can help supply me with some mesquite wood this year. mesquite is a wonderful wood to smoke with. burnslong and hot and leaves a much lighter smoke flavor to the meat over oak.

Hey if you want some mesquite let me know and how much do you want.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Mesquite is good, but IMO it has a pretty strong flavor. I usually use a little mesquite mixed with something else. Pecan for poultry, fruit woods for fish and pork. But we all know what opinions are like!
nothing wrong with your opinion by any means. i just find mesquite to be much lighter in flavor comapred to oak for smoking. pecan is one of my favorite woods for smoking, but hard to come by in large quantities here. and i am still new to using fruitwoods so i plan on doing some experimenting with it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
Hey if you want some mesquite let me know and how much do you want.
might be interested for sure! mesquite is not as common in our area here in East Texas.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #198
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 513 Times on 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

might be interested for sure! mesquite is not as common in our area here in East Texas.

If you need pecan in a big load to let me know I mite be able to help their are always guys selling it on craigslist here. But I mite have a friend that has some on their place.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #199

well folks, spring is not that far from us. looking forward to doing some grilling and smoking!

i have another old hot water heater that i am looking at either making into a dehydrator to make jerky or another grille for burgers and steaks. i am seriously leaning towards a dehydrator. i have had the itch to make jerky for some time now. good jerky in the stores is expensive.

now making a regular smoker for BBQ is pretty easy for me. i have made several over the years. but really could use some ideas, advice and suggestions on making this dehydrator. the tank is about 12-14" in diameter and about 40" tall. i am thinking of wood fired smoke, and going vertical with it. any help or ideas would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #200

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

I got nothing. But please send pictures when you are done. Love this stuff. I got 5 lbs of wings going now. Plus a few frosty beverages. 😄

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk