Smoking and Grilling! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

The wonderful part of charcoal is it can used as a buffer for taste.
Im all about hickory ive tried pecan its good but can get real strong for my taste, oak for me a little goes a long ways.
I wana try some applewood mixed with hickory with a whole chicken
Havent tried a brisket either Ive never ate any that was Im gana say "right" soft, tender,
ribs I love I use a rub and no wood spareribs , babybacks pork about an hour cook time
I love it a good drink a nice day mess with the grill for hours also a part of history ,most everybody had a smokehouse, you had too or starve lol if a meat eater

Old 07-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another thing i do with my larger cuts of meats is that i smoke them directly on each side for about an hour to an hour and a half for a total of 2-3 hours and then i remove them and wrap them in foil and place them back on the smoker for about 10-12 hours. this give a nice smoky flavor and a nice smoke ring to he meat when it's cut, but doesn't allow the smoke flavor to overpower the meat flavor and seasonings.

when i smoke a turkey on my smoker, i use the large disposable tin roasting pans. i smoke the turkey breast side down first for about an hour, then turn it over and smoke for another hour. then i remove the bird, turn it over again an then cover the pan with foil and put it back on the smoker for about 6-10 hours depending on it's size. when removed, the meat will practically fall off the bone and the cooking it upside down will allow the meat juices to move into the white meat, leaving it very moist.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Since we are sharing...

I built this one out of 1/4" steel shrouds that were used to protect ATMs. I can load 5 briskets or 10 pork rib racks in it. Front table is laminated strips of oak from ATM pallets.

I can load 30" wood in the firebox.....hmmm....can't believe I just wrote that!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

People Like This 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
Since we are sharing...

I built this one out of 1/4" steel shrouds that were used to protect ATMs. I can load 5 briskets or 10 pork rib racks in it. Front table is laminated strips of oak from ATM pallets.

I can load 30" wood in the firebox.....hmmm....can't believe I just wrote that!
nice looking smoker there Truggie!

i can fit about three decent sized briskets on mine or two very large turkeys.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #15

Winds you need to just load the thing up and come down to Texas for the sept 7-8 thing smoke an shoot lol how better can it get???

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #16

Liked 185 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I have had good success with a "Cook'nCajun" (now owned by Brinkman) electric smoker. Some make fun of the electric ones, but the results are excellent once you get the technique down. Pork ribs cut up before smoking, with a 50/50 mix of hickory and mesquite works well. Smoke for 6 or 7 hours, topping up the water every 90 minutes produces ribs that fall off the bone. Just got to wait for the ribs to go on sale.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
I have had good success with a "Cook'nCajun" (now owned by Brinkman) electric smoker. Some make fun of the electric ones, but the results are excellent once you get the technique down. Pork ribs cut up before smoking, with a 50/50 mix of hickory and mesquite works well. Smoke for 6 or 7 hours, topping up the water every 90 minutes produces ribs that fall off the bone. Just got to wait for the ribs to go on sale.
not a thing wrong with an electric smoker. just a little different method of achieving the same results. i just have been using an indirect smoker for about twenty years now and it's become my prefered method and what i have been trying to become good at.

i do want to build a brick smoker and have been looking at designs and trying to perfect one that will work for me. as it will be pretty much permanent, i am also looking at the perfect place to build it.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 869 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 193

this site has NEVER let me down
http://amazingribs.com/

Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #19

I know ive had good results on the little indoor electric grills

Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner
NEVER, EVER any fun made about smoking meat!....Ever. Electric, propane, charcoal, wood....it's all good! No shame around the smoker if you are working it!
Do you remove the membrane from the back of your ribs?

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It