Smoking and Grilling! - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #181
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 687 Times on 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68
Grilled and smoked wings rule. I grill them in a Green Egg elevated pretty high over the cools. I keep the temperature about 225 so they get a nice smoke flavor and then I let the fire get hot at the end to crisp them up. I am planning a wing night Thursday for the football game. I'll try to get some pics posted.
My wife told me we should wait until tomorrow since we are already having smoked brat worst and jalapeño and cheddar sausage. Anyway, I was guessing I would smoke the wings at about 240 for 90 minutes. I can't really crank the heat at the end because I'm using a digital smoker. Any suggestions on time or temp are always happily received. Also, 2.99 lb for fresh uncooked wings from Whole Foods, I think that's the only deal in the entire store!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #182
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3053 Times on 2075 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68
Grilled and smoked wings rule. I grill them in a Green Egg elevated pretty high over the cools. I keep the temperature about 225 so they get a nice smoke flavor and then I let the fire get hot at the end to crisp them up. I am planning a wing night Thursday for the football game. I'll try to get some pics posted.
Next Sunday it's brunch at my place with a bucha crazy Ex-Pat Chiefs and Giants fans!!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #183
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1833 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

Default First thyme...............

This week I did the whole boston butt thing. Two bone in boston butt pork roast. Wash thoughly and pat dry, incert at least one head of peeled garlic cloves in the thickest parts. Then add seasonings in the same hole. Dry rub was salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cummin, and chili pepper. Place in fridge over nite. Next day place on hot pit with coals and your favorite chips for smoke. Turn meat over till a good crust forms, then move to cooler spot on pit. Cook till coals go out. Cool an wrap roast in foil. Refridgerate. Next day, place your roast into a smoker, to which you have your chips and a container of water over them to add steam. Open foil on top of roast to let in the smoke. Six hours in the smoker, for about nine hours total..........All fat was left on the roast, each weighing about ten pounds.........Scour the fat into 2 " squares.........Bon appetite....................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #184
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21267 Times on 12076 Posts
Likes Given: 53062

Thanksgiving is not too far off and i will be smoking another batch of turkeys again this year. my SIL and MIL have both asked if i would do them a turkey again this year. i told them, but of course! i enjoy firing up the smoker and sitting up all night keeping it going. i find it very relaxing and sometimes even consume a few beers while doing it.

racer_x Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #185

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i generally get my steaks fresh at the market, then season them as soon as i get home. steaks that will cooked on the grille IMO, should never be frozen, but as fress as possible.

i had a blackened steak a few times and like them. would like some guidance or recipes on how to make one. i have the seasoning, i just need the method used to cook one.
Axxe,

The way I like to blacken steak, chicken fish etc is on an out door propane burner with a large cast iron skillet. I set the flame on high and leave the pan on it till the skillet is allmost white hot. While I am waiting for the skillet to heat up I season whatever I am cooking and slather either olive oil or melted butter on it. For a 1 inch rib eye I cook about 2 min per side (I like steak rare) and let sit for 10 minutes. I have found this to be so quick easy and good I rarely grill steaks anymore. I like to save the grill for cooking my pork shoulders.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
Axxe,

The way I like to blacken steak, chicken fish etc is on an out door propane burner with a large cast iron skillet. I set the flame on high and leave the pan on it till the skillet is allmost white hot. While I am waiting for the skillet to heat up I season whatever I am cooking and slather either olive oil or melted butter on it. For a 1 inch rib eye I cook about 2 min per side (I like steak rare) and let sit for 10 minutes. I have found this to be so quick easy and good I rarely grill steaks anymore. I like to save the grill for cooking my pork shoulders.
thank you very much for that information. i have a propane burner and will have to try that out.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #187

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

No worries. Be aware it smokes like hell.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
No worries. Be aware it smokes like hell.
i kind of figured it would! my propane burner is outside!

Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #189

well i didn't smoke any turkeys thisyear. the first time in the last few yearsi haven't smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving too.

i plan on smoking a couple during the Christmas season instead though.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #190
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 504 Times on 310 Posts

I started my pit up at 4:30 this morning, cooking two boston butts.
I will take some pictures ones the sun come out .

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Axxe55 Likes This