Smoking and Grilling! - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Smoking and Grilling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1140 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Here's a pork loin I did on the Pellet grill last Thursday. Finished with a raspberry chipolte glaze. I will be smoking a brisket on it this weekend.

Attachment 113088
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #102
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 698 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Great pics and methods,,, I haven't smoked meat for a while since the neighbor lady thought the house was on fire. That was a hoot, she was not amused but the Peace Officer wanted to try some,, made her madder. It was a large elk roast, rubbed with salt, pepper, and a touch of nutmeg,, sounds weird but tasty. I used some hickory and crab apple chips, and in the water pan, I added some cranberry juice and a touch of olive oil, a suggestion of a fellow that smokes pheasants on a regular basis,, came out really nice after about 10 hours. The biggest concern for me with the old Brinkman smokers is keeping them from flaming up,, as stated before, a little spray bottle works very well. I like the old Weber grills, but my wife prefers propane,, you know who wins that one. Good cooking to all.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #103
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3391 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Not a great Pic of my Grill,..a Char-Broil offset smoker. Cost me $209 last year, off from $299, list was $379,..now I see it In the Other "wally world" in Prescott for 168!!! well,..it works GReat as both a Regular Grill and an Offset.
My Brisket usually takes about 3.5-4.5 hrs... (usually about 6 lbs.)

My Marinade:
1 oz Worcestershire sauce, 2 ozs. Barbque sauce(Either Jack Daniels or Baby Rays, dep. on what "Flavor" i'm going for.
1 Tbsp Goulden's Brown Mustard, 1 1/4 cup of Kosher salt(extra if larger piece of meat), 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp Omaha Steaks steak seasoning.

Make sure you rub the "fat" side with Kosher salt,..this helps draw out excess fat and liquids during cooking.
after seasoning and fully coating marinade on Meat,..wrap in foil. make sure Grill is at least 200 degrees(or it will take 8hrs. to cook instead of 4 or 5!!!!)
Grill Prep: approx 3.5-4lbs of charcoal, with "seasoned" wood chips mixed in. Make sure heat is even and spread chips and lighter fluid(if needed) on entire flame area(where wood & bricks are burning)...I also add small bundles of Kitchen matches tied with strings and embedded within the charcoal & wood to "keep" it going. layer charcoal on bottom, wood chips(your choice of flavors) across the top. Check for "even" heat every 15-20 minutes....
You may want to also use a foil pan under the regular aluminum foil wrap(I use Renyolds wrap "wrappers", but sometimes the Heavy duty foil works better.....
I was a "propane" guy back east,..but My grill burnt down after 6 years on my deck..so we got the smoker when we bough this house...Propane dries out meat....i will never go back to one..

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 08-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #104
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I was thinking of putting three, two lower on the lid a couple inches up from the bottom grate on the right and left and then one an inch or so up on the top grate center. What are your thoughts on that?
i think it sounds like a good plan. i use two on my lid, mounted on each end so i can monitor the difference in temperature from each side of my smoker. i can have as much as a 15-20 degree difference sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Here is a picture of our brisket. It turned out pretty well for a first attempt. We ate it with fresh, local corn on the cob.

Smoking and Grilling! - The Club House
turned out great for the first one! congrats on your first brisket!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #105

Liked 712 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

Does anyone have one of these. If so what do you think, online reviews are pretty good.

Smoking and Grilling! - The Club House

akorn kamado kooker

Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #106
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10307 Times on 6159 Posts
Likes Given: 14972

I'm in the mood to cook something on the grill tonight. Comments, suggestions, ideas?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #107

Liked 123 Times on 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm in the mood to cook something on the grill tonight. Comments, suggestions, ideas?
Hogwings..... good stuff.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #108
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10307 Times on 6159 Posts
Likes Given: 14972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin View Post
Hogwings..... good stuff.
hmmm......good idea.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #109

Liked 2528 Times on 1568 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Anyone have a good marinade or rub for steak?

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #110
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Anyone have a good marinade or rub for steak?
for grilling? if so, yes i do. personally, i like simple with a steak. start with a good cut of steak, of good quality. i use course sea salt and cracked pepper and some garlic pepper seasoning. let them sit like this before cooking for about an hour or so, then lightly spray the steak with vegatable oil right before cooking on both sides, then grille to perfection. i like the outside singed and the inside lightly pink, as in medium/rare, but no blood.

a good steak is one that when eaten doesn't need sauces or anything on it as the flavor can stand on it's own.