Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A small victory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default A small victory

Last week there was an unintentional killing while two brothers were in the woods shooting / plinking. One of the local media outlets, an on-line version, described the rifle used as; "an AK47 semi-automatic assault rifle."

I e-mailed the editor and explained to him that his reporter had made a very common error for someone who is ignorant of guns. The rifle can either be semi-automatic, or an assault rifle, not both.

To my surprise the editor replied, acknowledging his ignorance, and reported that he had changed the text of the story. He also offered to call me if he has questions about guns in future stories.

I'm going to give it a while, then invite him to go shooting with me, and hopefully show him the truth about guns.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #2

Good work!

Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good job, it is the responsibilty of the educated to spread their knowledge! It always feels good helping turn around our culture of misinformation and stupidity.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #4

Well done! Sometimes the only way to change someone's perception is to actually get them to see the other side. Most people that are anti-guns have never really had any exposure - other than the news stories - that as you've pointed out, are sometimes inaccurate.

Well behaved women rarely make history!

The Gun Lounge

Old 07-15-2007, 02:45 AM   #5

I would most definetly extend that invite. We have a local columnist here who has always spoken out against guns. A few readers invited her out, and she finally went. She was given a lesson in safety and shooting... and now she wants her CCL. She actually wrote a very long column about the experience and added a lot of gun safety tips she was given. So go for it!

"Is the average person stupider than he was a generation ago? Or do you just run into more stupid people because fewer stupid people are getting eaten by bears?" - Bill Maher

Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

High Five!

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)