Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Small Hiatus (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/small-hiatus-15121/)

user4 06-25-2009 07:36 PM

Small Hiatus
 
Some of you know and most of you don't... We bought a house. A fixer upper. I also discovered that I'm not very handy. What I AM good at is getting on the internet and hiring crews of manly men who DO know what the hell they're doing and will do it for not very much money in the hot Texas heat.

Here's the run down:

Removal of cat piss covered parque floors - $100
Removal of bearing wall and assigning outlets to another wall - $100
Installation of header beam to replace bearing wall - $150
installation of laminate floors including scraping the old glue - $500
AC compressor repair - $100

Considering it all, I think I got off extremely easy. I've been cleaning and scraping and stripping baseboards, painting and sheet rocking the last two weeks. Still have some work to do, but I intend to move into this bad boy THIS weekend.

I tell you all this so that you may excuse my long absences and mirthless commentary until my return. I heard either Benning or Skull was planning to hand my title of "wittiest man on the internet" to some n00b hack. I assure you I will regain my title... IN THE OCTAGON against all pretenders foreign an domestic.

In the mean time, know that I shall, on my return, be introducing Mr. Elbow forthwith.

Thanks for your understanding.

suprdave 06-25-2009 08:02 PM

Godspeed, brother. Good luck with that cat piss...

mrm14 06-25-2009 08:36 PM

Prices in your thread here seem awfully damn good for the work you hired done.

I did a fixer upper a few years ago and it costs alot more for the work I hired out that I didnt have time to do. Of course I live in California and things do cost alot more here than Texas to have done. And I hired a liscensed contractor to finish what I sarted.

This house was built in 1951 and had alot of structural damage from dry rot (floor joists and sill plates) and thank god no termites.

Good luck and congrats on your home.

RL357Mag 06-25-2009 08:41 PM

I got a laugh when I read this because it reminded me of a TV commercial:

Quote:

Removal of cat piss covered parque floors - $100
Removal of bearing wall and assigning outlets to another wall - $100
Installation of header beam to replace bearing wall - $150
installation of laminate floors including scraping the old glue - $500
AC compressor repair - $100
Finding some sucker to do all of this for such a low cost....PRICELESS!


PS - I paid "friends" more than this in 1989 when I built my house...:mad:

Dillinger 06-25-2009 08:51 PM

Who is this Mr. Elbow you speak of??

Good luck Brother - Remember it's a cash market these days, you should be able to find some fools to carry you around in your thrown while you are inspecting your new lair.... Oh, I see by your human carriage you already have....

JD

mrm14 06-25-2009 08:53 PM

Yeah, the electric work and the AC compressor work for his project seems dangerously low priced to me.

cpttango30 06-25-2009 09:49 PM

Hey if you want it even cheaper go and hire you a couple of mexicans they will work for next to nothing.

Nothing against mexican people. Just stating how to get it even cheaper.

skullcrusher 06-25-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 121625)
I tell you all this so that you may excuse my long absences and mirthless commentary until my return. I heard either Benning or Skull was planning to hand my title of "wittiest man on the internet" to some n00b hack. I assure you I will regain my title... IN THE OCTAGON against all pretenders foreign an domestic.

Keep in mind, my friend, that nobody can expect to be on top forever. :D

bobbyb13 06-25-2009 09:50 PM

Considering you are buying the supplies, and a economy in the crapper. Guys probably glad to get the work.

Yunus 06-25-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 121651)
Yeah, the electric work and the AC compressor work for his project seems dangerously low priced to me.

Yeah. Electrical is no place to skimp, you may want to hire someone else to inspect their work and make sure its up to code when they are done. I know I'm always the negative guy to bring people down, sorry.

I hope I'm wrong and you just found a good electrician hurting for work willing to do it cheaply.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.