Skunked Again
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Skunked Again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Skunked Again

I have to German shepherds that got skunked again last night I have in the past tried every skunk spray or concoction known and as I'm sure you all know its all junk. Last time this happened I read about a mix to try if you can do it right after the attack. You use one qt hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda and a teaspoon of dish soap. Mix it all together and use it just after mixing and its fresh. I can't believe how well it worked !! I had it on the first one rubbing it into a lather for about 5 min and the smell was gone and I was amazed. I then rinsed her and then bathed one more time with regular pooch soap and there was no odor at all
If any of you other pet owners have gone through a spraying you know how bad it is, it just makes everything you own stink for weeks no matter how much you clean and wash stuff. Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone has such a pleasant surprise as I at 11:30 last night

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

White viniger seems to work well to keep the skunks away. Buy it by the gallons and use a pump sprayer to spread it. They come out at night and go more my sent so the spray will keep them from your home. They have a pattern when they go looking for food so a month or two will of spraying will keep them away. You have to apply weekly and after a rain. It's worth the effort unless you have a lot of land to cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 AM   #3

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Good info for us dog owners!

Thanks ktmboyz

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Will this same mixture work on kids and wives??

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #5

That combo works GREAT! My husky got sprayed and it was HORRIFIC! made the entire house smell from out side. One wash with the peroxide combo, smell was gone!

ohh btw tomato juice don't do a damn thing for dogs, all it did was make him smell like a stinky ass vegetable..

bring back W.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Will this same mixture work on kids and wives??
You talkin' about the one to get rid of the stench or to get them to stay away?
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

The peroxide/soap/soda mix works quite well. BTW, skunks seem to have really bad eyesight, and are not afraid of anything (since they carry a nuke around with them)

Which is why so many get rabies- when approached by a rabid animal, they don't try to run- and get bitten.

My office at the house has a sliding door that open to a sunken patio about 14x20. About 5 yrs ago, one winter day, noticed my stack of firewood had a little skunk sunning herself on it- had an injured foot. She spent the winter there- never sprayed. Could go out and get wood, she would sit on other end of stack and watch. Have been at desk in evening working, would look up, and she would be at door peeking in.

No real good way to dispose of one- shoot them, live trap them, tranquilize them- you WILL get the nuke.

Come a Spring day, put a few bits of dry cat food on each step coming up from patio- she climbed the stairs, nibbling her way to the top, and wandered off to the woods looking for grubs. Just a real unusual "neighbor" for the winter.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, the above bath does take the smell away, one night at about 11 pm I was doing an in-frame on a Perkins diesel, well I was on a creeper torquing the rod and main brg's caps. I was putting my foot on the bottom frame of the container lift for the last stage of the torque for leverage, when my foot slipped off and of course it hit a skunk that I did not know was there. I then got all of the benefits of the skunk. I then evacuated the area post haste, then preceded to strip in the middle of the lot, got in my truck, and preceded naked to drive across town to the house, wife would not let me in, just handed me a bucket through the door, would not even let me come near the door until she closed it, had to sponge bath in the back yard, then I was able to come in and bathe. Sure was glad it was not daylight and rush hour, was embarrising enough with out that happening.

Layton

Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
Yes, the above bath does take the smell away, one night at about 11 pm I was doing an in-frame on a Perkins diesel, well I was on a creeper torquing the rod and main brg's caps. I was putting my foot on the bottom frame of the container lift for the last stage of the torque for leverage, when my foot slipped off and of course it hit a skunk that I did not know was there. I then got all of the benefits of the skunk. I then evacuated the area post haste, then preceded to strip in the middle of the lot, got in my truck, and preceded naked to drive across town to the house, wife would not let me in, just handed me a bucket through the door, would not even let me come near the door until she closed it, had to sponge bath in the back yard, then I was able to come in and bathe. Sure was glad it was not daylight and rush hour, was embarrising enough with out that happening.

Layton
Man that had to suck, I am always out in the garage late at night with the door open rolling around under somthing.. Thanks now I'm gona be paranoid everytime I hear something

Old 07-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
No real good way to dispose of one- shoot them...- you WILL get the nuke.
I can testify to the shooting = stinky, part of this. I've often thought that game wardens should be issued skunks for deploying in spotlighter-prone areas. (rabbits, not deer & that was my last time ever)

Newest Threads