"Skilled Care facilites".....aka nursing homes......... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > "Skilled Care facilites".....aka nursing homes.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11544

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Absolutely, you split the arrow right down the center.

Look at the way things were and where they are going. Birth, Life and decline to death cycles in the early 1900's are coming back as they should. The Family home is also the perfect Nursing Home if you prepare and care. Our Grandparents didnt leave the responsibility for raising their kid in the hands of others yet we will pay them back by giving them 24 hour sitters in an institution that doesnt resemble anything to do with home.
Exactly the problem. Society has changed (for much the worse) over the past 50+ years to institutionalize our elderly family members and it is the bane of our existence as a nation on the moral and ethical level in regards to the family unit. Heck, even Communist China has not regressed as much as we have in the care of their elderly, and the Chinese used to put their old folks into opium dens to live out their "Golden Years". As far as I am concerned that sounds a lot more appealing to me than lying in a hospital bed with tubes running in and out of you while being told by your family that they can't let you die with dignity.

Quote:
Im taking this afternoon off to retrofit an 89 year old friend of mines house with pull bars and shower seats. He had a stroke a month ago (his second one) and he can come home to his 84 year old wife (whos dying of cancer) if we we just do a few things to make his home safer for him. I cant say if he will be there a week, a month or a year but he was smiling from ear to ear yesterday as we walked around with the Therapist in his home instead of the Nursing Facility! They will be bringing him back about 6pm tonight so Ive got my work cut out for me but its worth it to see them together in there home if not just for that moment!
Oh man! Been there, done that several times. I will gladly do it again as well. One thing I learned as to how to position grab bars is to have the person go through the motions of daily life. Sit 'em on the toilet (no need to have them drop a deuce though- they can keep their pants on) and talk to them a bit, getting them comfortable and relaxed. Then tell them to get up. They will reach out for something- that is where you put the first grab-bar. Hold one there that they can grab, and do it again. Where their hands reach out to is where the grab bars go. You may have to adjust the height, or orient them vertically or at an angle, to get it so they can reposition while rising without having to let go of the bar.
Do the same thing in the shower, or near the bed, wherever they have a little difficulty getting up.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You might find careconversations.org interesting.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #33

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Absolutely, you split the arrow right down the center.

Look at the way things were and where they are going. Birth, Life and decline to death cycles in the early 1900's are coming back as they should. The Family home is also the perfect Nursing Home if you prepare and care. Our Grandparents didnt leave the responsibility for raising their kid in the hands of others yet we will pay them back by giving them 24 hour sitters in an institution that doesnt resemble anything to do with home.

Im taking this afternoon off to retrofit an 89 year old friend of mines house with pull bars and shower seats. He had a stroke a month ago (his second one) and he can come home to his 84 year old wife (whos dying of cancer) if we we just do a few things to make his home safer for him. I cant say if he will be there a week, a month or a year but he was smiling from ear to ear yesterday as we walked around with the Therapist in his home instead of the Nursing Facility! They will be bringing him back about 6pm tonight so Ive got my work cut out for me but its worth it to see them together in there home if not just for that moment!
This makes me proud to count you as an acquaintance,

even if only in the most casual degree.

You're making a world of difference in two people's lives,

when they need it the most. You sir, are a true, red-blooded

American, in the America I know and love.

You'll find, as time passes, when you selflessly help others,

you become stronger, and the person you help most, surprisingly,

is yourself...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6944 Times on 3491 Posts
Likes Given: 7550

Thank you TW, I try to honor the Boy Scout code and this fits right into many of those points of honor. So many people have hopes for the strength of others when they are unable to muster it themselves but so few people ever bank any of those strengths for others while they have the power to do so. I dont do it just because I hope someday someone will do it for me but cant help but believe every little bit helps in the long run.

There are many great resource out there but sadly, by the time we figure out we dont know all the right answers, theres too much to deal with all at once.

I got All the Pull Bars in place, moved his bed downstairs and fixed up the shower. Bill Came home last night about 5pm. I wasnt there, too much commotion, no need to gawk or gaggle. My wife said she's never seen him happier than the moment he walked through his own door again and sat in his chair. His wife was giddy and it was most certainly a Kodak Moment.

Their time together here on earth is limited, Hospice is sending in a helper for Mary, she's in very bad shape and not ever gonna get better again. Home care is gods gift to those we most care about on this planet. If you can do it, do it. If you cant, please be careful who you choose to act as your surrogate.

Sadly, I just got the news my Sisters Throat Cancer is back and they will either have to remove her trachea or she will die. She is refusing the surgery at this point so I suppose the second choice is on its way...

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 10-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #35

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Pssst, tell ya a little secret. Shhhh. The greatest resource we

have is each other...

Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #36
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6944 Times on 3491 Posts