Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Simply brilliant people (NOT!) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/simply-brilliant-people-not-100510/)

c3shooter 11-19-2013 02:01 AM

Simply brilliant people (NOT!)

Was visiting my LGS. Will not say that it is my regular hangout, but there IS the coffee cup with my name on it....

Understand that we are in the South- so when a Boston accent shows up, it stands out. Two of them, more so. Two men were inquiring about the process to purchase "some handguns".

The gent working the counter told them- first thing- do you have documentation to show you are a resident of Virginia? Or military with a permanent duty station in VA? Well....no.

Sorry, but by Federal law, I cannot transfer a handgun to a resident of another state.

Oh. come on- isn't there some way this could be handled?

No- and having advised you of that, to continue to ask puts you at risk of a trip to a Federal prison.

And who's gonna call the cops, huh?

Counter clerk smiled, reached in his pocket, produced his badge case. "You mean besides the three that are in this store right now? Say good day gentlemen- time for you to leave now."

:D

MisterMcCool 11-19-2013 02:19 AM

Butts puckered.

SSGN_Doc 11-19-2013 02:33 AM

I had one if my junior officers talking to one of my sailors about buying an AR. He said, they have some down at "such and such gun shop" but they only have semi-autos, but you can just buy the parts you need and drop them in.

I said, "You do realize, sir that what you are advising one if my sailors to do, is a federal offense, punishable by prison time, and $30,000 in fines, and a loss if his gun rights permanently." Also, there are certain differences, between AR15 rifles and M-16s that may not allow said parts to drop in, right?"

He followed up with "Well Chief, he could just file some parts here and there and get the same result."

I shook my head, told him to just stop, because he really had no understanding of what he was talking about or the potential safety risk, legal risk, and bet him that he didn't know the legal way to buy full auto guns. He told me there wasn't really a way.

I went into a mini speech about the NFA, tax stamps, application procedures, approximate wait times, etc.

He actually shut up and listened. I told him I'm not an expert on the process, but know enough about it to get someone steered in the right direction and avoid prison.

Some people's kids, man.

DrFootball 11-19-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
I had one if my junior officers talking to one of my sailors about buying an AR. He said, they have some down at "such and such gun shop" but they only have semi-autos, but you can just buy the parts you need and drop them in. I said, "You do realize, sir that what you are advising one if my sailors to do, is a federal offense, punishable by prison time, and $30,000 in fines, and a loss if his gun rights permanently." Also, there are certain differences, between AR15 rifles and M-16s that may not allow said parts to drop in, right?" He followed up with "Well Chief, he could just file some parts here and there and get the same result." I shook my head, told him to just stop, because he really had no understanding of what he was talking about or the potential safety risk, legal risk, and bet him that he didn't know the legal way to buy full auto guns. He told me there wasn't really a way. I went into a mini speech about the NFA, tax stamps, application procedures, approximate wait times, etc. He actually shut up and listened. I told him I'm not an expert on the process, but know enough about it to get someone steered in the right direction and avoid prison. Some people's kids, man.

Boy what the Navy ROTC is turning out for Jr. Officers these days! Did you check his vitals to see if he actually had "Stupid Fever?"

therewolf 11-19-2013 04:54 AM

I just hope stupidity isn't a virus...

Jagermeister 11-19-2013 05:00 AM

Actually stupidity is fostered in the schools these days.

DrFootball 11-19-2013 05:09 AM

"Life is hard. It's harder if your stupid" John Wayne..

danf_fl 11-19-2013 11:16 AM

I listen to some of the "experts" here at work.

I've had to shake my head more than a couple of times.

Donn 11-19-2013 11:38 AM

Ignorance is a long way from stupidity, but left unchecked, rapidly closes the gap. Sounds like that fits these guys to a tee. Unless they were plants trying to demonstrate how "easy" it is to buy and transport guns across state lines.

GTX63 11-19-2013 12:27 PM

ATF newbs wouldn't surprise me.