Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Silly Skill Shooting Challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Silly Skill Shooting Challenge

So I'm watching a Seagal movie, and he has matches set into a board, and shoots and lights them.

A day later, I see it done on Mythbusters, and the feat is real.

I often challenge a range buddy to feats of derring-do, and this seems a reasonable challenge, but I'd like 2 or 3 similar challenges, to make a sort of Olympic level "You're buying dinner" challenge.

Give me ideas.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #2

yeah if you watch his new show "Law Man" he takes a fellow LEO out to a range and attempts the same thing.....if you look close enough i believe he is firing a 1911

shoot an asprin out of the air

Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #3

I watched a show a few years back on outdoor network with some old guy who was handy as heck w/ 6 shooters. He was lighting Ohio Blue tips that were stuck on a hitchin rail.
I was able to light ONE match after going through nearly half a box of matches using my Ruger 77/22. I was only about 30' away though. I think the guy on the program was 20 yards away and using a pistol. I kept shooting the tip off the match, if I tried to just skate it by, I would miss.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

For the older guys, back in the day, there was a commercial, 70's, I think, where a guy shot a sheet of paper and made a sort of connect the dots Indian Chief head.

I'm trying to figure out how to make my Official J.D. Hostage targets. I'd like a classic Dillinger avatar face on a body, with an alien or zombie behind it, holding a knife on our hero. Ideally, only a couple inches of brainpan would be exposed, you'd have to nail the shot on the bad guy without getting any of the J.D.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
So I'm watching a Seagal movie, and he has matches set into a board, and shoots and lights them.

A day later, I see it done on Mythbusters, and the feat is real.

I often challenge a range buddy to feats of derring-do, and this seems a reasonable challenge, but I'd like 2 or 3 similar challenges, to make a sort of Olympic level "You're buying dinner" challenge.

Give me ideas.
When we had down time on the range during qualifications my firearms instructors use to compete to see who bought the beer after work. We took a cardboard target backing and stapled metal clips on the back of the target edge where you could not see the clip. We would put 4 clips along the edge about 6 inches apart. We would then clip a quarter, nickel, penny and dime wit maybe ¾ of the coin showing. My Instructors would start with the quarter and work down, the Instructor who was last to shoot the coins off bought the beer for all the other instructors. Each Instructor had his own set up like this so they were shooting against each other at the same time. targets were set about 15 yards out and we started from the duty holster and hands in surender postion above the line of the sholders. You could not shoot the clip (that’s why we put the clips hidden behind the cardboard) you had to shoot the coin. It got pretty heated sometimes, after all beer was at stake.

Last edited by Dzscubie; 12-30-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

When you can light a match at 300 yards while killing a red tail hawk and banking it off of a 2" steel plate (That is 2" in dia) and killing a field mouse. Oh and you have to do this with a Lorcin 32acp.

Then you can call your self a heck of a shooter.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

JD does not approve of this shooting challenge. I have my good looks to think about here. Not to mention I see NO good reason to let my brains out for a little walky around my body.

You want a real challenge Benning?

Get a bottle of Nyquil or Advil liquid gels.

Using clear tape, attach 5 of them to a pistol target, either in a line or at various heights, and run that target out to 15 feet.

5 rounds.

See how many you can hit.

We have done this challenge for YEARS and it's great fun. You know instantly if you got the target, and you get mocked instantly when you miss. LOL

Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
When you can light a match at 300 yards while killing a red tail hawk and banking it off of a 2" steel plate (That is 2" in dia) and killing a field mouse. Oh and you have to do this with a Lorcin 32acp.

Then you can call your self a heck of a shooter.
32ACP is a little stiff for me.

I'm tender-wristed.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Coins and Gel caps. Hmmm....

Wife is gonna think the shopping list is crazy this week.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Hows about eggs at 600 yards with a 22lr...... Or 400 yards with a 45acp......