Sigh. You just can't win. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sigh. You just can't win.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
LOL, this happens to me on occasion. The wife says, "Did you hear that?" No I didn't. Or maybe I did, but I recognized the sound. A lot of times it's the cats. She won't TELL me to go check, but the fact that I need to is clear.

The one time I felt I needed a gun was the night I was sort of just falling asleep. (I think). I could have sworn I heard a man's voice. In the house, and the windows were shut. I got up, and checked VERY thoroughly, nothing. It had to have been my mind playing tricks on me. Ever dream when you're only half asleep?
I dream when I'm half asleep all the time. They're always more vivid than when I'm all the way asleep.
I sleep so soundly that i think I'd be screwed if someone broke in.

Also, at least you're not hearing voices when you're awake. Lol

Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #12

Liked 1144 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
Damn I keep an AR, 2 1911's and a .12 ga Browning by the bed. Wife has Ruger GP-100 on her side. A Rott patrols the area. We don't fear what goes bump in the night. If I got up the old lady would make sure I carried the shotgun and a pistol.
As mentioned earlier, Cin was nervous about having unsecured firearms in the house, especially the last three or four years when the kid was in her early and mid-teens, as sometimes she would have friends over and they would sometimes be in the house by themselves for a couple of hours. Who knows where they will snoop or what they will get into? I keep a gun hidden behind some books in the headboard of the bed; the Blackhawk in the closet, and a Mossberg pump 12 gauge hidden near my desk in the basement. This is the best compromise I could effect between having a firearm accessible but safe from unauthorized handling.

Which sorta irriates me, as when I was growing up there were guns just hanging on the wall in the den, and we all knew where the pistols were kept, and neither myself or my brother and sister would have ever considered touching one without permission, or letting a friend touch one. The consequences would have been dire. I was 15 years old before I could even get one of my own guns down without permission.

Last edited by txpossum; 07-14-2013 at 06:57 PM.
limbkiller Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm lucky that I don't have the problem with the guns. Of course, we've only been married two and a half years, and our kid is only a year and a half old. So we keep a couple pistols, loaded magazines inserted (no round in chamber) in our bedside gun safe. Our daughter isn't old enough to operate the slide. When she can, we'll consider reworking our setup.

But my wife feels much safer when I've had to go exploring in the middle of the night, with a loaded gun. It's only happened once, but she didn't question it when I racked the slide of my gun, handed her her own gun, and walked out the door.

I do now, regardless of how old the kids are, there will be a loaded, or at least semi-loaded gun somewhere in the bedroom. We're kinda thinking a wall safe in the future? Also, wall safes throughout the house with back ups inside. We've already decided to not be caught with our pants down.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
We've already decided to not be caught with our pants down.
Unless, of course, our pants ARE down. In which case the bad guy had better let us finish before he tries anything. :P

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #15

Liked 1133 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 740

Quote:
Also, at least you're not hearing voices when you're awake. Lol
Says who?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I've been married long enough, however, that I'll just mentally count to ten, and say, "Yes, hon, you're right. It's all my fault".
ROFL You are a smart man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Ever dream when you're only half asleep?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
I dream when I'm half asleep all the time. They're always more vivid than when I'm all the way asleep.
I sleep so soundly that i think I'd be screwed if someone broke in.
I hate those half asleep/half awake dreams. Very vivid.

I am a very sound sleeper, too. But I have three dogs that would give me plenty of warning and I sure can't sleep through them raising a ruckus.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #17

Liked 1144 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Unless, of course, our pants ARE down. In which case the bad guy had better let us finish before he tries anything. :P
In my case, the bad guy would be so out of breath from hysterical laughter he would be a cinch to subdue.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #18

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

ROFL You are a smart man.

I hate those half asleep/half awake dreams. Very vivid.

I am a very sound sleeper, too. But I have three dogs that would give me plenty of warning and I sure can't sleep through them raising a ruckus.
My dog would lick my blood off the intruders face and proceed to leave with him/her. My only hope is that the intruder gets scared off when my dog smiles at them and thinks she's baring her teeth, ready to attack.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #19

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I've been married long enough, however, that I'll just mentally count to ten, and say, "Yes, hon, you're right. It's all my fault".
And with due respect - that's the problem. Right there.

If women are indeed equal to men (and I believe they are) then they should be treated as equal and called on their bull**** just like men.

Irrational fear of guns won't hurt anyone but the homeowner when some armed intruder breaks into the house.
eatmydust Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
My dog would lick my blood off the intruders face and proceed to leave with him/her. My only hope is that the intruder gets scared off when my dog smiles at them and thinks she's baring her teeth, ready to attack.
My Pug is like that. But not the other two dogs.