Sigh. You just can't win.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sigh. You just can't win.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1144 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Sigh. You just can't win.

Last night, I am sleeping soundly when my wife wakes me up about 3:30 in the morning. She's got a "feeling" that there's somebody in the house. I listen; I hear nothing unusual in the house. We have two dogs, one large and one small and yappy that sleep in the house; they aren't freaking out and raising hell. However, as we all know, part of the guy thing is to check out things that go bump in the night, or, as was the case here, things that aren't going bump in the night.

Now, some background. It has been a point of minor contention around my house about whether all my guns should be locked up, due to the sometimes presence of kids in the house (not so much a problem now, kid just turned 18). Most of them are locked up, but there is a .40 auto in the headboard of the bed, just in case, that no one knows about. But, since I don't want to start the "don't you know it's dangerous to keep a gun there" conversation, I don't get the gun out. Remember, all is quiet, even the dogs. No sign of problem. I start to pick up the Greco knife I keep on the nightstand, but think that will open myself up to some sort of comments about who do I think I am, Rambo?, so I man up and go check the house and basement bare handed and brave in my boxer briefs. I get back and she says "how safe was I, you didn't even take a gun with you". GRRRRRRRRR. Not only is she casting doubts on my ability to beat several attackers to death with my bare hands (one fist is iron, the other is steel, if the right one don't get you then the left one will), she's the one who's been AGAINST keeping a loaded gun in the bedroom. (She keeps an unloaded .410 snake charmer under the bed, with the ammo in the stock, for when I'm gone.)

So . . . . I go to the closet, reach up and get the 6" barreled Ruger Blackhawk I keep up there loaded with Buffalo Bore 180 grain ammo in case something is roaming around in the backyard I don't think the .40 will handle -- I currently am without a .44 magnum (anybody know a good deal on one) and so this is the best I can do -- show it too her, ask her "Good enough?", and recheck the house. Come back to more comments about how I should have taken the gun in the first place.

I'm sure in a couple of days, though, I'm going to hear about how dangerous it is keeping a loaded gun in the closet where "anyone" ("anyone" who happens to be tossing my closet) could find it.

I've been married long enough, however, that I'll just mentally count to ten, and say, "Yes, hon, you're right. It's all my fault".

Last edited by txpossum; 07-14-2013 at 08:11 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

But you shouldn't have to count to ten. I wish I knew at what point we lost our balls ....... I feel your pain

Old 07-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

After 36 years and marriage and three prior wives (one divorce, two deaths* -- I'm not THAT hard to live with), I've learned that are some battles not worth winning.

*The last time Cindy and I were mildly arguing in front of the kid, she told her mother "better be careful, we're still not sure what happened to the last two". I THINK she was joking.

Last edited by txpossum; 07-14-2013 at 05:53 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 855 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 4466

Even if it were possible to "win", you still don't win.

What kind of area do you live in?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Even if it were possible to "win", you still don't win.

What kind of area do you live in?
Um . . . I guess you'd call it semi-rural. We have about 3 acres a couple of miles outside the nearest small (by small, I mean wide-spot-in-the-road) town, and we have neighbors around us, but most of them have plots of several acres, so nobody just right next door. Half of our property is cleared, and half is still wooded that backs up to mebbe 100 or so other acres of woods. We get a lot of deer, turkey, and the like come up in the yard, and black bears have been frequently seen in the area, and we've seen bear tracks by the small stream down in our wooded part.

Last edited by txpossum; 07-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You really need a grenade.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Liked 959 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 741

Damn I keep an AR, 2 1911's and a .12 ga Browning by the bed. Wife has Ruger GP-100 on her side. A Rott patrols the area. We don't fear what goes bump in the night. If I got up the old lady would make sure I carried the shotgun and a pistol.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 855 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 4466

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Um . . . I guess you'd call it semi-rural. We have about 3 acres a couple of miles outside the nearest small (by small, I mean wide-spot-in-the-road) town, and we have neighbors around us, but most of them have plots of several acres, so nobody just right next door. Half of our property is cleared, and half is still wooded that backs up to mebbe 100 or so other acres of woods. We get a lot of deer, turkey, and the lack come up in the yard, and black bears have been frequently seen in the area, and we've seen bear tracks by the small stream down in our wooded part.
Sounds like my friend's place in Maine. His wife wakes late at night thinking some's in their house. Though, there's speculation that the area they live in is haunted.. (I know it's silly, but that could explain her uneasy feeling).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #9

Liked 1132 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 740

LOL, this happens to me on occasion. The wife says, "Did you hear that?" No I didn't. Or maybe I did, but I recognized the sound. A lot of times it's the cats. She won't TELL me to go check, but the fact that I need to is clear.

The one time I felt I needed a gun was the night I was sort of just falling asleep. (I think). I could have sworn I heard a man's voice. In the house, and the windows were shut. I got up, and checked VERY thoroughly, nothing. It had to have been my mind playing tricks on me. Ever dream when you're only half asleep?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

Liked 1132 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 740

I'd like to add....buildings make a lot of noise. Our house is particularly noisy. Where we are, the wind goes at it frequently, and since our house is kinda big, it creaks a lot. Women tend not to understand this. Of course, I have a background in construction. At work, same thing. If you're there by yourself, no machines running, you would be amazed the noises that building makes LOUD ones. It's a block wall building, with a steel truss roof, standard industrial.

I think a lot of the noises we hear in the night can be attributed to this.