*sigh* struggling with Picasa

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > *sigh* struggling with Picasa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Default *sigh* struggling with Picasa

I got a new camera and I am dying to post some great pictures. I have been using photobucket but I'm not happy with it. I am trying Picasa. I have a whole series of related pictures in different folders. I put them all in one folder but when I delete the multiple single folders, the pictures disappear from the folder I want to keep.

Also, I can't figure out how to take the pictures from Picasa and post them here on FTF. I can't find any way to link them.

Do any of you feel brave enough to help me with this online?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Slightly off topic which camera did you go with Winds?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The Canon Powershot A2300.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 01-15-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

i use image shack. seems to work pretty good

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i use image shack. seems to work pretty good
I'll look at it. I also have a Photobucket account. This is all so difficult for me but I'm learning.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If I can figure out my Picasa username, I will look and let you know, lol.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 23

What I do is open Picassa, open Picassa on the web, upload from the camera onto the Picassa web. Go to the album find the pic. Double click to open. Right click on the photo and it will give you options. I click save location. Go back and hit paste where you fill in the pic location and it usually works fine. I have a Canon S6000

Hope this works for you

Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Forgot something. When you upload specify the Album you want the pic to go to or type in a new album. If you don't you will a bunch of albums for each pic.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Okay, as for viewing your online albums and trying to consolidate several into one album, try this:
Open one album that has photos you want to use. Select 'organize'. Then highlight the photos you want. Click 'copy.' A little box will pop up. If you have already created the album to put all the photos in, select 'choose existing album.' Pick the one you want and hit 'select album.' This will copy the photos into the album you want. Then repeat for the rest of the photos. If you have not already created the new album you want to put all the photos in together, type in a title and Picasa will create a new album for you. Then for the rest of the photos in the other albums, you will do the same thing, except you will select 'choose existing album' from then on and put the rest of the photos into the one you just set up.

I have been trying to use the embed photo feature by testing it on this thread. Haven't gotten it to work yet. Might just be easier to post it as usual on here straight from your computer.

Okay, I have figured it out. (Obviously, as per the photo above.) Open your online photo album and click on the photo you want to use. On the right hand side of the page, select 'Link to this Photo'. Check the box that says 'Image only (no link)'. Select the size you want the image to appear on FTF. Highlight all of the text under 'embed image' and copy it. Go to the FTF site. Write what you want to write in your response, select the insert image icon (mountains and yellow sky). It will prompt you to put in a website. Paste the text from Picasa that you copied. When you post your response, the photo should appear.

Last edited by shadamai; 01-15-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Trying to embed photo from Picasa.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #10

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I got a new camera and I am dying to post some great pictures. I have been using photobucket but I'm not happy with it. I am trying Picasa. I have a whole series of related pictures in different folders. I put them all in one folder but when I delete the multiple single folders, the pictures disappear from the folder I want to keep.

Also, I can't figure out how to take the pictures from Picasa and post them here on FTF. I can't find any way to link them.

Do any of you feel brave enough to help me with this online?
I will talk about 2 separate but somewhat integrated programs, Picasa which is a free downloadable local application (run on your computer) from google, the other app is "Picasa web albums" which is Google's online storage and picture sharing site. You can use Picasa to manage all your pictures on your computer and Picasa web album to share them with anyone or with only those you choose.

If you use Picasa to manage your pictures on your computer you should never delete pics outside of Picasa it just keeps things simpler to always use Picasa, also I find that it's easiest to put all my pictures into a single folder on my computer and use Picasa to manage all my photos using tags and albums. I won't go to in depth about Picasa because it can do a lot and exploring and playing is the best way to learn some of it's functionality.

Within Picasa you can upload the pictures you choose to Picasa web albums. http://support.google.com/picasa/answer/39500?hl=en
I would recommend you set the image size to 800 or 1200 but NOT original size because today's cameras may have a size like 4000 and you will eat a lot of space but if you want the largest quality picture stored online then choose the original setting, you can print an 8X10 from a 1200 size pic without a problem.
Also don't forget to set your "Album visibility" option, you can make this private so that you need to give that specific person access (they need a gmail or google+ account) or you can set it to "Limited, Anyone with a link" this is the setting I use most often. It means that you can post a link on FTF and anyone can click it and see the pic but it's a randomized link so they will only see the pic(s) that you link to. The third option will give a static generic link that is easy to decode and also makes your photos searchable through picasa online for others.

This is a screenshot from inside picasa web albums of one of my albums. On the right hand side about half way down you see a blue link that says "Link to this album". If I click that link I will be able to copy and paste a URL that I can post on this page and anyone can see the entire album. Here is that link https://picasaweb.google.com/114698111119590854532/Temp?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO24yMjZq9WEFw&feat= directlink If I wanted to only link a single picture, I can click on a picture within my album and then on the right hand side of the screen there would be a link to display the unique link for that individual picture.

Picasa is very good but can be a bit confusing to use. If you let me know specifically how you want to use it and what you want to do I can probably offer some more help just let me know.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 01-15-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Large Edit of content, more coming
Wiebelhaus Likes This