should you give consent to leos search you vehicle - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > should you give consent to leos search you vehicle

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Highly paid? Freakin where? Maybe some of the big cities, but around here LEO wages start at 28k a year, I don't consider that highly paid, just a decent living and making ends meet.
In California, many agencies pay twice that for starting, plus all sorts of overtime. LEOs taking home more than $100K/year are not uncommon at all.

The pay in California needs to be much lower. When there is a LEO job opening, they get hundreds of applications, and most of them are more than suitable for the job since most agencies provide training. So supply and demand suggests the salary is too high.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #112

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Is the cost of living not twice as high there too?

How much is rent, or home prices? Around here its possible to find a home for 55k (we have our share of over priced mcmansions too), and I'm currently renting for 600 a month.

Are there any places in california that employ $100k cops with home prices like that? And I highly doubt that those aren't cops who have been on the job for a while and have been promoted into higher positions, there by serving no comparison at all whatsoever to a basic MS highway patrolman, who can expect to possibly be making as much as 32k after being with the highway patrol for ten years or so.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #113

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

And you think that 56k (twice the starting pay here) needs to be lower? With all the crap that cops have to deal with? And in Cali?

Heck I think around 50k needs to be the STARTING pay here.

Yeah, they're public servants, but that doesn't mean slaves.

And this is coming from a guy who hate his local PD. (me)

Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #114
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3165 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
In California, many agencies pay twice that for starting, plus all sorts of overtime. LEOs taking home more than $100K/year are not uncommon at all.

The pay in California needs to be much lower. When there is a LEO job opening, they get hundreds of applications, and most of them are more than suitable for the job since most agencies provide training. So supply and demand suggests the salary is too high.
Cut the pay in half and the applicants will go to ZERO. You get what you pay for. If your jurisdiction pays them too much, contact your elected official that authorized that pay and see what you can do.

Or go to school become a certified Peace Officer and apply for one of those over paid jobs.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #115

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

Cut the pay in half and the applicants will go to ZERO. You get what you pay for. If your jurisdiction pays them too much, contact your elected official that authorized that pay and see what you can do.

Or go to school become a certified Peace Officer and apply for one of those over paid jobs.
I believe this is the very reason that more "small town" cops are a-holes...those jurisdictions don't pay much at all, and you DO get what you pay for. It's been my experience that just like any profession, the farther up the pay scale you go, the more likely it becomes you will be dealing with a true professional. JMHO.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #116

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

JoinLAPD: Salary

LAPD starts at $48K while in training! Basically, that's a high school education and they pay you to go to cop school. LAPD is one of the lower paying departments.

Employment - City of Sacramento

Sacramento PD starts at $55,781.

San Diego pays $72,000 starting at 4 years.

Again, those are base rates. There is plenty of opportunity for overtime at 1.5X.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #117
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

This thread has moved well off search issues and into bashing. I think it's run its course.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Closed Thread