should you give consent to leos search you vehicle - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

should you give consent to leos search you vehicle

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I want to share a story that I've shared before, as it seems almost relevant to this thread.

The last time I was pulled over I was doing 95 in a 70 zone, just outside of Sardis MS, on the interstate.

The highway patrolman that pulled me over ended up writing me a ticket for 84 in a 70. On top of that, the guy was so dang polite and courteous, I THANKED him. I then later called his supervisor and told him the man needs a promotion and a raise.

I've participated in a little cop bashing here and there on occasion, but I'll also tell anyone that it is a very specific group of cops that I have no respect for, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #102
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

any LEO that abuses his authority and tries to disregard someones rights, has no business wearing a badge, and give the ones who act with professionalism and dignity a bad name. those are the ones i respect and admire. that small percentage are the ones who are a traitor to their profession and need to be terminated from their jobs and find one at the local fast food joint!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #103
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Drinking and driving... call the cab, the $30 is far far less expensive.

In MI, my attorney advised me to refuse both the field sobriety and field breathalyzer, but said I had no choice but to take the dept based breathalyzer and/or blood test. In his words, it might gain be some advantage, but at that point I would probably be screwed and to get out the checkbook... did I mention paying the $30 cab bill?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #104

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

We had some LEOs around here get fired and prosecuted for soliciting sexual acts from detainees and inmates. Could this be viewed as an improper or illegal "strip search"?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #105

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I want to share a story that I've shared before, as it seems almost relevant to this thread.

The last time I was pulled over I was doing 95 in a 70 zone, just outside of Sardis MS, on the interstate.

The highway patrolman that pulled me over ended up writing me a ticket for 84 in a 70. On top of that, the guy was so dang polite and courteous, I THANKED him. I then later called his supervisor and told him the man needs a promotion and a raise.

I've participated in a little cop bashing here and there on occasion, but I'll also tell anyone that it is a very specific group of cops that I have no respect for, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread.
This is more fodder for cop bashing. The cop lied on the ticket. Sure, in this case it worked in your favor. But for every 11 mph speed reduction break he gives someone, he probably has no problem adding that 11 mph to someone else's ticket. That is a widespread problem. If they lie on a ticket, they will lie on a report, they will lie to a Judge, they will lie to a Jury.

Cops are not the judge and jury. They are highly paid public servants and need to be reined back in.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #106
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
This is more fodder for cop bashing. The cop lied on the ticket. Sure, in this case it worked in your favor. But for every 11 mph speed reduction break he gives someone, he probably has no problem adding that 11 mph to someone else's ticket. That is a widespread problem. If they lie on a ticket, they will lie on a report, they will lie to a Judge, they will lie to a Jury.

Cops are not the judge and jury. They are highly paid public servants and need to be reined back in.
Oh for crying out loud. He was using discretion and trying to be a pretty reasonable guy.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #107

Liked 4701 Times on 2344 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo

I don't agree with that. I have no problem with cops cutting breaks. I commend it, it shows an ability to think for themselves. Cops. I also don't have a problem with cops hooking up other cops, etc. I have no problem with cops, just the crooked ones.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #108

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Warning-Sickening - This Could Be Your Child, Spouse, Brother, Sister, Mom, or Dad

It took SIX Fullerton LEOs to do this to one simple-minded, non-violent homeless man. SIX. And an entire department tried to cover it up.

The big mistake was that Kelly's father was an Ex LEO! He is not letting this slide.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #109

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Nope, they can't search my vehicle or my person. If they believe a crime has been committed, they can arrest me and search me, then have a judge sign off on a warrant to search my car.

Never, ever say "yes" to a cop when he or she asks if they can search your car. They don't need to ask. There's a legal process to follow to allow them to do it, but if you give them permission and bypass that process, you open yourself up to big problems.

This has not happened to me and I intend to keep it that way.
I agree. My limited experience with the police has taught me that it's almost always going to be better to flip the bird than say "yes" to a search. Assuming they even ask....

Not that you SHOULD flip the bird.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 01-08-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #110

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo
Highly paid? Freakin where? Maybe some of the big cities, but around here LEO wages start at 28k a year, I don't consider that highly paid, just a decent living and making ends meet.

Closed Thread