Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   should you give consent to leos search you vehicle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/should-you-give-consent-leos-search-you-vehicle-54849/)

downsouth 01-05-2012 06:51 PM

There is a video of Utica police allegedly planting evidence at a vehicle stop. I watched the youtube 1:40 version. Did'nt see anything of note.

I have been asked one time back in the day for consent, which I agreed to. These days I would probably tell the police to get a warrant. I am sure I would be handcuffed on the curb for a couple hours while they got the warrant.

How do you leos feel about someone asking for you to get a warrant giving no probable cause.

How do the rest of the regular Joes feel about giving consent to police to search your vehicle?

Jstrong 01-05-2012 07:09 PM

The only time I've seen police search a car,was a few years ago when my friend Ryan was pulled over by a female officer who didn't particularly like him. (Him and his three brothers had made a name for theirselves among our 20-officer police force). I believe it was for not using a blinker in a turn only lane. Anywho she asked to search the vehicle,he said yes,and an hour and another squad car later him and all of his door panels and some of the stuff that was in the car were on the side of the road in the rain. He got wrote a open container ticket for a empty bottle of patron on his back floorboard that had to of been from a couple weekends back.

So long story short,they can get a warrent to search my truck unless I legitimately feel they just want to poke their head in and have a look-see.

bkt 01-05-2012 07:37 PM

Nope, they can't search my vehicle or my person. If they believe a crime has been committed, they can arrest me and search me, then have a judge sign off on a warrant to search my car.

Never, ever say "yes" to a cop when he or she asks if they can search your car. They don't need to ask. There's a legal process to follow to allow them to do it, but if you give them permission and bypass that process, you open yourself up to big problems.

This has not happened to me and I intend to keep it that way.

BlueTurf 01-05-2012 07:41 PM

I do not have anything in my vehicles that is illegal or will otherwise get me in trouble. If a police officer asked to look in my truck in a professional way I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. I have a valid Concealed Weapons License for my state. Now, if an LEO was being an unprofessional a$$hole about it I would probably decline their request and they could get their warrant or whatever. Once while fishing I had my .45 cap in the front seat of my truck in plain view. A Fish & Game official asked if the gun belonged to me and if I minded if he looked at it. He was very professional about how he made this request. I told him that it had a loaded magazine in it but not one in the chamber and he was free to check it out. He did the standard drop the magazine and pull the action back thing, looked at it briefly and thanked me. He left the magazine out for me to put back in. After checking my fishing license he left.

hmh 01-05-2012 08:24 PM

I do not have anything illegal or any type of criminal record. Now that being said if they want to search anything I own they need a search warrant. I was military and in the state I was stationed had a law that active duty military did not need a cwp. I was pulled over identified who I was and what I had the officer tried to take my pistol. Luckily the same thing happened to a Sargent of mine and he instructed us to go to probate and get a copy of the law. Even after I presented the cop with a copy of the law he still tried to take my pistol. So I informed him he needed to get his shift leader. It was sad that neither one of them knew the law. I kept my pistol after polity insisting and several phone calls from them. So after that ordeal and being harassed as a teen you want to search me get a warrant.

vincent 01-05-2012 08:33 PM

Plain and simply...NO!!!

JonM 01-05-2012 08:45 PM

Nope i would never give permission to search. As a former law enforcement (military police) the times i did do searches i had probable cause to search. Usually the perp did something or had something illegal in plain sight that allowed the search.

I had better things to do than harrass innocent people with random searches

Chainfire 01-05-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 668489)
Plain and simply...NO!!!

What Vincent said. NEVER! There is no way it can help you and all kinds of ways it can hurt you. Also, never get into any more conversation than necessary. Tell him, hello, hand him your license and shut up. Try to answer questions with one word.

"Do you know how fast you were driving?" 55
"Have you been drinking" NO,- not, "I had a couple of beers"
"Where are you going?" HOME

If you are arrested, don't say anything. Once the cuffs are on you ain't gonna talk your way out of anything, but you could talk yourself into trouble. Never fall for "it will go easier....." They can lie to you, but if you lie to them it is a problem.

willshoum 01-05-2012 08:52 PM

At a lost......

I'm at the point in life, If you put the lights on behind me with the siren, you better have a better excuse than Barry in the white house.....Bad cops out # the good ones.......:mad:

m72law 01-05-2012 08:56 PM

i wouldnt care if they wanted to search,they better have thier tetnus shot up to date!!!