should unmanned drones be used by law enforcement - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > should unmanned drones be used by law enforcement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Reading Drudge this morning and see a story about this. Just another tool or an invasion of privacy.
It's just another tool, like all the other tools they presently have that could be use to invade our privacy. If it's cheaper to put one in the air than to put a manned aircraft up there, then let them use it.

trip, the report I read mentioned the Predator B/MQ-9 Reaper being used in a cattle rustling case and several other police operations. This one is much larger than the 5-lb Dragon Eye.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not suggesting anything to anyone who might be building a foil-covered bunker at this moment, but what would the penalty be for a little drone target practice, assuming the target were to be completely obliterated leaving little to no evidence of its destruction or assailant?

I'll never forget the first time the Memphis PD knocked on the door asking me to bring in the Rotty so they could check the back yard for "somebody who escaped custody". That was the brightest spotlight i have EVAR seen up on that ghetto vulture; i bet you could simultaneously blind a deer and tan its hide with that light. At least the little drone with the FLIR and such would be quieter and less intrusive, much like the little search spiders on that Minority Report movie that quietly checked your retinal scan in the pursuit of "justice".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #13

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The ones we used overseas were streaming video and automatically going to a hard drive.

It would be tough to not show up in the video, as you can't possibly know which way the cameras are pointing. There are usually more than one to a bird (in my experience) and they pan constantly by the operators controls. So there may be at least two operators working the cameras, and if one happens to see you point a gun in that direction, he's probably going to be watching with that fancy little zoom button pressed. If they know a general location, and have your face, you might still get away with it, but it might not be worth the risk as I'm sure the penalty will be steep.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

^^^ Go full turkey-hunting cam with a veil & all. OK, so somebody at a remote location may have "mistaken" our drone for a Canadian Goose (legit excuse aroun Horn Lake area, stupid geese). I wonder how long for a unit to show up on that call.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #15

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

There would be a case made if one was downed on the opening day of dove season. All manner of flying things seem to catch lead poisoning on that particular day. Kildeer,grackles etc.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
There would be a case made if one was downed on the opening day of dove season. All manner of flying things seem to catch lead poisoning on that particular day. Kildeer,grackles etc.
Vice-presidential guests...

Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Context matters. If a drone is sent up in a certain area at a certain time to look in a limited area, it's the same as sending up cops in a helicopter. No harm, no foul. But if they're flying 24/7 and they're everywhere watching us, that's a problem, IMO.

I also have a big problem with street and highway cameras.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #18

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not suggesting anything to anyone who might be building a foil-covered bunker at this moment, but what would the penalty be for a little drone target practice, assuming the target were to be completely obliterated leaving little to no evidence of its destruction or assailant?

I'll never forget the first time the Memphis PD knocked on the door asking me to bring in the Rotty so they could check the back yard for "somebody who escaped custody". That was the brightest spotlight i have EVAR seen up on that ghetto vulture; i bet you could simultaneously blind a deer and tan its hide with that light. At least the little drone with the FLIR and such would be quieter and less intrusive, much like the little search spiders on that Minority Report movie that quietly checked your retinal scan in the pursuit of "justice".
I suspect firing on an aircraft of any description would get you a prison sentence of about forever. The chance of you ever seeing one to shoot at is about none. If you saw one, you probably don't have anything that could reach out and touch it.

Just forget about any expectation of privacy when outside. No more whoopy by the pool, unless you want to entertain the troops. But don't let it bother you, satellites have had that capability for decades. The only difference with the drones is that can putt a Hellfire up you fanny if you are acting out.

Best thing to do is keep legal and don't piss off the powers that be.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #19

Liked 2525 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 2423

God forbid we should piss off the powers that be.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1359 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Besides that, the hottie across the fence should be able to continue her nude sunbathing without her privacy being invaded.

For the sake of bored AF drone operators nude sunbathing hotties should not be entitled to privacy.