Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > should unmanned drones be used by law enforcement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default should unmanned drones be used by law enforcement

Reading Drudge this morning and see a story about this. Just another tool or an invasion of privacy.

NEVER FORGET

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Coincidence you bring this up...the Minneapolis newspaper had an article yesterday about North Dakota useing unmanned drones to spot cattle rustlers....I had no idea that cattle rustleing was still going on, especially to that degree. .

Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In certain circumstances like the rustling, maybe a fugitive on the run, that would be okay. But the truth of it is, it will get out of hand, and us, the taxpayers, would eventually be paying someone to spy on the local populace 24/7. Those things aren't cheap, nor is their fuel, or the training required to operate one.

Besides that, the hottie across the fence should be able to continue her nude sunbathing without her privacy being invaded.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Reading Drudge this morning and see a story about this. Just another tool or an invasion of privacy.
Law enforcement drone? Martial law rising in the horizon. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a .....

Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2061 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 745

The only difference between using a drone or a helicopter or an airplane is how much fuel you're burning each hour.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
The only difference between using a drone or a helicopter or an airplane is how much fuel you're burning each hour.
Which is what would make it possible to fly drones and do surveillance 24/7. And of course if it were used under the same pretenses that are used to call out the choppers, then it could save the municipalities millions. I just don't think it would happen that way, I think within a matter of weeks the on tap surveillance would be abused.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #7

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I am all for it. You can keep it up longer than one person can fly. Just switch out pilots and bang fresh guy on the stick.

Think about this. You have a high speed chase heding towards a school zone as children are being let out. Your police back off the guy slows down and you are quietly following him with a drone with GPS so you know where the guy is going. Once he stops you circle the drove that from the ground looks like a big bird.

Then out of nowhere knock knock knock CLINK CLINK slam perp arrested.

I guy carjacks someone again follow with drone and wait for live officers to show up. Fast easy and much safer.

At night you equip it with FLIR and night vision. Perp runs into the woods you can then use the drone to direct officers with a DOG to the perp and arrest him with little to no effort. I think they would have a big measure to officer and civilian safety by using them.

There is no difference than using a camera to video tape drug deals or take pictures of a prostitute lookin for johns.

Anything even a car and OMG their GUN can be used for wrong.

Can cops abuse a car? Sure they can, can they abuse a knight stick sure they can, can they abuse a gun sure they can.

What was it that reporter asked the guy at a military training prep school.

You are equiping these boys to be killers.

He then replied your equipped to be a hooker so what?

Same thing

Point to one thing that a cop can't abuse if they wanted to. I think some of you need to loosen the damn tinfoil it is stopping the blood flow to what little gray matter you have left.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

Ha ha, I remember that story. I heard it was a Marine general who was allowing boy scouts to come shoot on his base rifle range.

But by the way, I've never seen a done in the air, their coloration and altitude makes them extremely hard to spot. You can hear them clearly though, they sound like a large pissed off mosquito. Assuming we are taking about the dragon eye.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
I am all for it. You can keep it up longer than one person can fly. Just switch out pilots and bang fresh guy on the stick.

Think about this. You have a high speed chase heding towards a school zone as children are being let out. Your police back off the guy slows down and you are quietly following him with a drone with GPS so you know where the guy is going. Once he stops you circle the drove that from the ground looks like a big bird.

Then out of nowhere knock knock knock CLINK CLINK slam perp arrested.

I guy carjacks someone again follow with drone and wait for live officers to show up. Fast easy and much safer.

At night you equip it with FLIR and night vision. Perp runs into the woods you can then use the drone to direct officers with a DOG to the perp and arrest him with little to no effort. I think they would have a big measure to officer and civilian safety by using them.

There is no difference than using a camera to video tape drug deals or take pictures of a prostitute lookin for johns.

Anything even a car and OMG their GUN can be used for wrong.

Can cops abuse a car? Sure they can, can they abuse a knight stick sure they can, can they abuse a gun sure they can.

What was it that reporter asked the guy at a military training prep school.

You are equiping these boys to be killers.

He then replied your equipped to be a hooker so what?

Same thing

Point to one thing that a cop can't abuse if they wanted to. I think some of you need to loosen the damn tinfoil it is stopping the blood flow to what little gray matter you have left.
Gunnut07, you stated your case very well until the last paragragh. Speeking for myself your logic being, "what a cop can't abuse if he want to", is like finger nails screeching down the calkboard of rational thought. Where would it stop for you, chips put into the citizenry? Hold on my tinfoil hat is in the way.

There are already court rulings about cops coming onto private property to put gps units on vehicles. No knock warrents, of which they get the wrong address. Taking camera phones from people on their own property, and not the subject of enforcement. Vans that can roll down a street and electronically look into homes. Homeland securuity order 450 units this year. On and on. One of the best tools for le I'm holding in my hand writting this post. Thing is I carry it of my own free will.

Law enforcement has a very tough job and I thank everyone of them. But the checks and balances of our Republic are there for reasons. I contend that if we turn a blind eye to our rights as responsible citizens it will in turn, lead us to tyranny.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #10

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Everything in the position of ANY person can be abused to spy on anyone.

Look up wifi Pineapple. That right there is the one reason I NEVER EVER access the internet from a free wifi signal in a coffee shop or any other public place.

To keep a tool out of the hands of LEO's because the tinfoil hat crowed think that the government is going to suck their thought out from 20,000 ft is STUPID.

LEO's have a hard job. Using an unmanned drone to patrol 24/7 is not a good idea. But, being able to track suspects at a safe distance and then apprehend them when the threat to hard of innocents and officers is low is as a good of use as any I can think of. Better than allowing our enemy to have unfettered access to one.

Look any LEO can abuse anything they have access to. As can the government. I just don't get all the tinfoil hat talk about 24/7 spying on you and others. You are not that important to them. No matter how much you think you are.