Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   The Club House (
-   -   Should I join the NRA? (

funkylizard 07-27-2008 05:47 AM

Should I join the NRA?
I turn 19 next month and do not own a gun. No one in my family owns a gun either. However, I have incredible respect for the 2nd amendment and the NRA organization. Once I am out of college and can afford a gun and the classes to be a responsible owner, I plan on exercising my second amendment right. Should I wait until I own a firearm to join? Will people give me crap about being in the NRA with no firearm? Tell me what you think.

mpoirier22114 07-27-2008 05:49 AM

join i for one won't make fun of u, i'm 19 as well and own 3 firearms and a member of the nra, they are a wealth of info too

superwoman 07-27-2008 11:12 AM

Not at all! I was an NRA member before I owned any firearms.

dunerunner 07-27-2008 03:44 PM

My uncle bought me my first membership when I was 14. It's never too early!!

RL357Mag 07-27-2008 07:03 PM

This is like asking someone in Church if you should pray...The NRA monthly publication alone is worth the cost of membership. The American Rifleman has a lot of firearms related info and also legislative info. It never hurts to be informed, and can help you when the decision comes as to what firearms to buy. If you're more into hunting, they offer the American Hunter instead of the American Rifleman. Personally I like the American Rifleman because of firearms reviews and reloading info.

G21.45 07-27-2008 10:25 PM

:) Hello! Don't overlook two other very active and occasionally more useful Second Amendment organizations:

Both of these organizations often get involved in 2A fights, either, sooner or much more aggressively than the slow moving and more conservative NRA.

Neither will the JPOFA or the GOA squander your membership dollars and contributions with quite the spendthrift aplomb for which the NRA leadership has long been so justifiably famous!

(And you're hearing this from a 38 year Life Member of the NRA.) ;)

c3shooter 07-28-2008 06:33 PM

Yes to NRA. and/or GOA, JPOFA. These are groups that are working to see that when the day comes that you decide to buy a firearm- YOU CAN!

Same reason I take 10 yr old kids shooting- because in 8 more years, THEY may be voting on whether old pharts like me can continue to own a gun.

And by the way- you could do much worse than finding an inexpensive .22 rifle for a first firearm. Price is reasonable, and plinking can be a lot of fun. I jusst picked up a nice, USED Stevens 22 auto for $70 from a local dealer. $12 worth of ammo and $2 worth of targets = a really good day at the range.

ScottG 07-28-2008 09:45 PM

Yes. There are too many people out there who hate your right to own a gun. We need to keep together to insure that we retain those rights. At this time, the NRA is the best organization to do that.

funkylizard 07-29-2008 03:50 AM

Thanks everyone.
I probably will get teased a bit, but $35 seems worth it. I am a pro Constitution guy and have always wanted to own a firearm, so the NRA is a great start. I will worry about what my first firearm will be in a few years after I am more informed and learn what firearm will best fit my needs 3 years from now.

Thanks everybody.

JWIII 07-29-2008 05:20 AM

I'm mailing out my enrollment form in the A.M.