Should I have called the cops?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Should I have called the cops?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default Should I have called the cops?

OK, this morning I was out squirrel hunting. I was hunting on federal land, managed by the Army Corp of Engineers and is hunting by permit only. The land covers about 60,000 acres of woods that border the Mississippi river. There are some gravel access roads to the levee's the ACOE use. As well as some power line roads in the woods.

Anyway I am walking back to my truck this morning and I see this guy walking up a trail not really dressed for hunting and not carrying a rifle, shotgun or bow. I'm on the edge of the woods and the guy doesn't see me. I watch the guy walk up the gravel access road and off into the woods. I thought that was strange but really didn't have any reason to investigate any further. I continue the walk back to my truck, at this point I am about a mile and a half away.

I get back to my truck, unload my shotgun and start the engine. This is when I look in my rear view mirror and see a car coming up the gravel access road. It's a brown Ford Crown Victoria with no license plates, with the guy I had seen prior in the woods behind the wheel. He wasn't going anywhere because the access roads have locked steel gates at all of the entrances and exits and he was on the wrong side without a key.

At this point I was ready to go and I drove away. As I watched in my rear view mirror it appeared he was turning around and heading back into the woods.

So, should I have alerted the police to his presence?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #2

Liked 981 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Yes you should. Somebodies kid could be hunting there. In Ky. you can hunt small game at age 12 by yourself. He was obviously up to no good. Probably dope. Those guys will kill you. I report anybody like that on public land. That is the reason I pack any time I leave the house. In the woods I'm not worried about 4 legged creatures as much as 2 legged.

Last edited by limbkiller; 10-27-2013 at 10:10 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Liked 241 Times on 159 Posts

Sounds like pretty odd behavior. Could have been up to something but maybe not. The cops may or may not have put much effort into investigating the guy if you had called but since there were no visible plates on the car they might have been interested.

Damn it! Now I want to know what he was up to. LOL

Calling the police in any given situation is one of those things I've found that ....... if the thought crosses my mind that I might ought to call .......I should probably go ahead and call. Let them decide if its serious or not. Hell they may have been looking for the guy already.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Sounds like a Federal employee. He was most likely an Obama appointee to the U.S. Corp of Engineers.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I have ran into this before at my old duty station. On a lot of land manged by the government people for some reason love to set up mobile meth labs. Only down side to it is they would shoot at us in uniform and they will definitely shoot at you. It would almost be worth your time to contact someone now and let them know when you saw it and where so they can investigate it. Some of the mobile meth labs stay out there for upwards of a month.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Sounds like a Federal employee. He was most likely an Obama appointee to the U.S. Corp of Engineers.
He was not dressed like one. He had on some dingy white pants and a camo hoodie.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
I have ran into this before at my old duty station. On a lot of land manged by the government people for some reason love to set up mobile meth labs. Only down side to it is they would shoot at us in uniform and they will definitely shoot at you. It would almost be worth your time to contact someone now and let them know when you saw it and where so they can investigate it. Some of the mobile meth labs stay out there for upwards of a month.
Now that I think about it, the meth lab thing is possible. I have came across plastic bottles some that had chemicals in them and other trash I thought was related to illegal meth production in these woods in the past.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1897 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

I have had strange encounters before while hunting and it usually meant there was a pot patch near by.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Meth lab guy more than likely. A federal employee wouldn't be dressed like that and they all have gov. tags on their vehicles, at least as far as I know.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8619 Times on 4632 Posts
Likes Given: 18196

"Federal" land belongs to the populace. Ignore it.