Shot my first IDPA match today!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shot my first IDPA match today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Used my p226 SAO,there was a little confusion over what division I would shoot in at first with a single action 226. But it was quickly straightened out. Over all I am happy with my performance, never forgot to take the safety off (have always practiced my draws) I made good hits on almost all of my targets,and didn't botch any reloads and I even snuck in a couple tactical reloads. My first stage was rough,due to my nerves,and I completely blew a disapearing flipper target,didn't even get a shot off at it. And I need to practice keeping my feet all the way behind cover and to also to remember not to do a tactical reload on the move. Most of my points down were from procedurals. I shot a few -1's and one -3 (and a couple misses) . But I had a blast,and didn't hit any no shoot targets.

it really taught me what I need to work on. and that I can't shoot like the guys on tv. I'm happy with how I performed (for my first time) and I didn't muzzle myself or anybody else and was safe the whole time,which was my goal to begin with. So it was a successful day. The P226 SAO ran perfect,which made me happy. It was Great trigger time and an outstanding way to spend a Saturday morning! I will be back every time I can.

Last edited by Jstrong; 11-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Nice. Grats man. That sounds awesome. And it's good you identified strengths and weaknesses. Gives ya personal goals to work on. Next time will be even better!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Oh yea it'll definetely let you know where your rough spots are once your drawing and shooting under pressure. The fastest guy there was a 20-something year old guy,looking at him you would think he was more a youth pastor type instead of a shooter. But man he was smokin' em,I asked him when he started and he said when he was 12.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1952 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

That sounds like a great start. The IDPA rule book just changed in October, so you won't be the only one getting procedurals. The rule against moving while loading is new and widely disliked, but them's the rules, for now. Actually, if you run dry in the open, you are allowed to start the reload on the way to cover. But when you get to cover, you can't advance any farther in the stage until you complete the reload.

Don't stress about the speed. Get the accuracy first. The speed will come along on its own.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
That sounds like a great start. The IDPA rule book just changed in October, so you won't be the only one getting procedurals. The rule against moving while loading is new and widely disliked, but them's the rules, for now. Actually, if you run dry in the open, you are allowed to start the reload on the way to cover. But when you get to cover, you can't advance any farther in the stage until you complete the reload. Don't stress about the speed. Get the accuracy first. The speed will come along on its own.
There was a lot of talk about that,they were all talking about that and how round dumping is legal now. One of the veteran shooters said it was a good time to start new with the rule book change bc they all had old habits to flush out now.

I'm gonna practice running to and peeking out from cover,hopefully I can get that down. I actually was actually able to go faster than I thought it would have,but when I pushed myself further started dropping shot -1's and -3's,so I found a good rhythm for me. I mainly was trying to not make any dumb mistakes.

I already can't wait to go back.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3175 Times on 2156 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong
There was a lot of talk about that,they were all talking about that and how round dumping is legal now. One of the veteran shooters said it was a good time to start new with the rule book change bc they all had old habits to flush out now. I'm gonna practice running to and peeking out from cover,hopefully I can get that down. I actually was actually able to go faster than I thought it would have,but when I pushed myself further started dropping shot -1's and -3's,so I found a good rhythm for me. I mainly was trying to not make any dumb mistakes. I already can't wait to go back.
Congrats man! You did well enough for a first time! Is it still the same # of mags allowed? I'm still reading up on it, but have shot other types of Matches. I want to try it some, and see if my old creaky bones can keep up!;-)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

Actually they've adjusted the number of mags/loaders a little. 8 or more rounds, 2 spare loading devices. 6 or 7, 3 spare loading devices. 5 rounds, 4 spare loading devices. So, there's a bit of a game available. If you run a 1911 with 8 round magazines, you only carry 25 rounds for a stage (3 x 8 + 1 in the chamber). But if you have 7 round magazines, you have 29 rounds to work with. The rule change also enables 5 shot revolvers to have a similar round count to everyone else (more reloads, but that comes with using 5 shot gun.)

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Also, used to be "engaged" meant one round towards the targets. Now engaged means the required number of rounds at each target. So a stage that calls for you to engage targets on the move on the way to cover should be handled differently now. Some shooters would dump one round and run for cover so they could "re-engage from cover" while standing still for better accuracy. That should be a procedural now, and in extreme cases could be an FTDR since it's being done to gain a competitive advantage.

Balota

Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Also, used to be "engaged" meant one round towards the targets. Now engaged means the required number of rounds at each target. So a stage that calls for you to engage targets on the move on the way to cover should be handled differently now. Some shooters would dump one round and run for cover so they could "re-engage from cover" while standing still for better accuracy. That should be a procedural now, and in extreme cases could be an FTDR since it's being done to gain a competitive advantage.
This was mentioned as well,we had a stage where we had to engage three targets while moving backwards using tactical sequence,that was pretty fun. I thought for sure my brain would say Shoot THEN move due to all the hours I had spend standing still at an indoor range,. But I guess having spent so much time telling myself shoot AND move,and having just seen the other new guy make that same mistake I was worried about making, that it just happened. If that had been my first stage I'm sure I would have had a major brain fart.

Last edited by Jstrong; 11-10-2013 at 11:37 PM.