Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold

Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold
Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 2, 2008
5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with halting an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the assailant until police arrived.

According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51, was in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun on a store employee."

The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened at 5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end shopping.

"While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the robber and ordered him to put down his weapon."

The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation of the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell racked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag of cash on the counter, dropping some of the money … the suspect removed his mask and lay on the floor."

Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers arrived and took him away in handcuffs.

Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from the suspect.

Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion County Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun without a license.

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wish more newspapers would run the Pro-Gun stuff like this!
On another note, I can't believe both these guys are running around without ammo in the chambers of their guns! I think a good attorney could plead for clemency on the part of the would-be thief, citing that his weapon was not chambered, therefore not ready to actually fire!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good effort on his part. Too bad he didn't have one in the chamber though, needs to carry loaded.

Last edited by hillbilly68; 01-03-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #4

Default Not too smart...

ya don't wanna be rackin' a slide to chamber a round when your adrenaline is pumpin'...that's more dangerous than havin' one in the pipe.

I carry mine cocked n locked...and I practice presentation, swiping the safety off as I bring the weapon to target...and point shoot a double tap center mass

If ya carry concealed, that's what you should practice. Standing upright in a classic weaver stance using the sights will get ya shot in a real world situation...especially when the perp already has his weapon drawn.

This guy was lucky...

DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #5

Way to go "armed citizen". If more people would do this those idiots would think twice about robbing someone.
"Go ahead, make my day"

"The difference between black and white is 2%"
G19/G23/OD G26/G27/Ruger LCP/Taurus 24/7OSS
Walther P22/ Mossberg TAC .22./PUMA 1911-22
NAA Mini 22, Ruger LCP NRA,Rossi Ranch Hand .357

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #6

Just another reason I plan on getting my CCW this summer, I can't even imagine how helpless I would feel standing there watching an armed robber terrorize the poor store clerk. He is just lucky the shopper didn't drop him on the spot. People like that are true heros as far as I'm concerned.

Proud NRA member