Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/shopper-pulls-gun-stops-robbery-cold-2905/)

sculker 01-03-2008 05:01 AM

Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold

:D Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold
Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 2, 2008
5:00 p.m. Eastern

2008 WorldNetDaily.com

A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with halting an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the assailant until police arrived.

According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51, was in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun on a store employee."

The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened at 5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end shopping.

"While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the robber and ordered him to put down his weapon."

The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation of the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell racked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag of cash on the counter, dropping some of the money the suspect removed his mask and lay on the floor."

Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers arrived and took him away in handcuffs.

Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from the suspect.

Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion County Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun without a license. :eek:

billdeserthills 01-03-2008 05:24 AM

Wish more newspapers would run the Pro-Gun stuff like this!
On another note, I can't believe both these guys are running around without ammo in the chambers of their guns! I think a good attorney could plead for clemency on the part of the would-be thief, citing that his weapon was not chambered, therefore not ready to actually fire!

hillbilly68 01-03-2008 03:38 PM

Good effort on his part. Too bad he didn't have one in the chamber though, needs to carry loaded.

Gunnutz13 01-03-2008 05:48 PM

Not too smart...

:eek:

ya don't wanna be rackin' a slide to chamber a round when your adrenaline is pumpin'...that's more dangerous than havin' one in the pipe.

I carry mine cocked n locked...and I practice presentation, swiping the safety off as I bring the weapon to target...and point shoot a double tap center mass

If ya carry concealed, that's what you should practice. Standing upright in a classic weaver stance using the sights will get ya shot in a real world situation...especially when the perp already has his weapon drawn.

This guy was lucky...:cool:

PAGLOCK23 01-04-2008 01:29 AM

Way to go "armed citizen". If more people would do this those idiots would think twice about robbing someone.
"Go ahead, make my day"

MarkoPo 01-04-2008 03:13 AM

Just another reason I plan on getting my CCW this summer, I can't even imagine how helpless I would feel standing there watching an armed robber terrorize the poor store clerk. He is just lucky the shopper didn't drop him on the spot. People like that are true heros as far as I'm concerned.