Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shop Owner Is Charged With Assault

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shop Owner Is Charged With Assault

May 17, 2008
Shop Owner Is Charged With Assault
By DARYL KHAN

A Brooklyn store owner who struck a 15-year-old boy in the head with a hammer was indicted on felony assault charges on Friday, although his lawyer said he acted in self-defense.

The store owner, Salah Ahmed, owner of Munchies Deli in Brownsville, hit the boy, Bunkless Bovian, 15, on April 13 after seeing a security monitor in the rear of the store showing the youth and two friends up front attacking an employee, according to Gary Conroy, one of Mr. Ahmed’s lawyers.

Mr. Ahmed was arrested and charged the next day.

Mr. Conroy said the grand jury indicted the wrong person, since the youths were at fault for attacking Mr. Ahmed’s employee, Hazam Kassim, 19, kicking him, punching him and slashing him with a box cutter.

Mr. Conroy said security videotape of the confrontation, which the grand jurors saw, would prove that Mr. Ahmed was innocent.

“Mr. Ahmed is not a vigilante,” Mr. Conroy said outside the eighth-floor courtroom in Brooklyn Criminal Court moments after learning of the indictment. “Mr. Ahmed was a victim in this case. And when you look at the entire videotape and you see Mr. Ahmed assaulted even after his nephew was assaulted, he did show remarkable restraint given the circumstances.”

Mr. Conroy added, “If this isn’t a case of self-defense, I don’t know what is.”

Bunkless’s skull was fractured and he was placed in a medically induced coma. He remained hospitalized for five days.

The boy, who lives in public housing near the store, is a talented basketball player at Intermediate School 323 and in youth leagues, his family has said.

Mr. Ahmed, 36, was also indicted on additional assault charges and a weapons possession charge. He faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted. He had been arraigned on $150,000 bail, but that has been reduced to $35,000.

David Epstein, who is also representing Mr. Ahmed, said: “We weren’t cocky, but we assumed this case was going to be dropped. We thought it was a no-brainer.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/17/nyregion/17beating.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Skulker, I can always count on you to post stuff the pisses me off, yet your finds are so.....Can't think of a good word..that I always find myself reading them. Good find, as always, just pisses me off, as always

Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Bunkless Bovian? That's a helluva name.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
Skulker, I can always count on you to post stuff the pisses me off, yet your finds are so.....Can't think of a good word..that I always find myself reading them. Good find, as always, just pisses me off, as always
I second what fapprez say's I agree 100% it just really pisses me off

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculker View Post

The boy, who lives in public housing near the store, is a talented basketball player at Intermediate School 323 and in youth leagues, his family has said.
But a not so talented criminal.

Oh yeah, they forgot to tell us about him singing in the church choir....

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No, ScottG, he doesn't JUST sing in the choir, he pushes his 98 yr old grandmother to and from the church in her wheelchair so she can watch him do his job as the alter boy before he volunteers to tutor underpriveledged children in the ghetto. You were pretty close, though!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #7

it seems as if every thread on here either makes me or . this being a thread.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2687 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Freaking New York City. Leftist bastages! Weapons violation? A freaking hammer? WTF?

Here in Texas, the little banger would have been ventillated and Mohammad would have gotten a medal.