Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   shooting stars? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/shooting-stars-56898/)

UrbanNinja 02-03-2012 04:16 AM

shooting stars?

I wish I may, I wish i might.... anyway, in the last 30 days I have witnessed 4 "falling stars", "shooting stars", meteorites,etc..

The first 2 were about 4 weeks ago. I work 2nd shift and usually drive home around 1am. On my daily ride home I seen a long streak of light go directly down in front of me (I was driving northbound). I thought to myself that it was only some glare from another passing vehicle. I then turned off of the highway on to a bypass, now heading westbound. Once again, another streak of light goes down in front of me, the same course I was heading. And yet again I think its another vehicle but there is nobody around me for miles, no street lights and no buildings that could have caused this.

1 week later, another "light" flies by my driver side window. At this point I am amazed because growing up in a big city, you very rarely ever see "stars. So now ive seen 3 in 2 weeks. More then ive seen in my lifetime.

Tonight on my ride home, another one. Same scenario, no cars,lights,buildings,etc...

Now my curiosity has my attention. What are the odds of witnessing 4 shooting stars in one month?

Are the aliens invading? Should we call Bruce Willis and his "rough neck" crew?

c3shooter 02-03-2012 06:48 AM

Hmmmmm........ some folks have not spent a lot of time out of doors, in the dark, after midnight! :D

Thee are meteors to be seen almost every night. YOU just ran across the annual light show from one of the "showers"- the Quadrantids. Peaked on morning of 4 jan.

Best viewing- after midnight, moonless, away from bright lights, look anywhere from straight up to the East. No binocs or telescopes- they move too fast. Ones you saw were mving at around 92,000 mph. Really.

Had a flight from Boston to VA that departed at 11:50 PM, on the night that the August shower was to peak. Mentioned it to flight crew. Was sitting on Port side of aircraft, facing the East- Fantastic view from 29,000 ft. Cpt later told me was the most he had ever seen.

woody63m 02-03-2012 11:42 AM

So C3 when are you gonna write a book. You could call it something about everything and then some more.

c3shooter 02-03-2012 11:47 AM

Grandkids are asleep, so I get to tell you guys stories. :p

UrbanNinja 02-03-2012 03:14 PM

Thanks for the info c3. I was really hoping it was an alien invasion. I could have used that as an excuse to stockpile more ammo. :D

92,000 mph? That is insane. I hoe they dont land too close. I was driving a jeep with a soft top. :( I dont think my workmen comp would cover that.

c3shooter 02-03-2012 03:48 PM

At 92,000 mph, Worker's Comp will cover you.

About 6 ft of cover, then grass. :p

Actually, it is very rare for them to land anywhere. Most are bits of dust. Speed generates incredible heat when they hit air, heating them to where they give off the light you see- and they go POOF faster than a spammer posting here.

But a really great light show, huh?

UrbanNinja 02-03-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
At 92,000 mph, Worker's Comp will cover you.

About 6 ft of cover, then grass. :p

Actually, it is very rare for them to land anywhere. Most are bits of dust. Speed generates incredible heat when they hit air, heating them to where they give off the light you see- and they go POOF faster than a spammer posting here.

But a really great light show, huh?

It is Definitely something different to see, Very cool. Any idea on how long this will last? Seeing that you wrote that it peaked on Jan 4th, its almost a month and still going. Is that common?

c3shooter 02-03-2012 06:05 PM

It "goes" year round- 24 hours a day- but you can't see the lights in daytime, and most are on the part of the sky Earth is moving TO (like bugs on the windshield, but not the back glass).

During the peak for some of the showers, after midnight (windshield thing again) you can see about 1-2 a minute. Once in a while, there is a "fountain" or "shower"- several a second.

One of the many things that go on around us, and most never notice it. Ask an old sailor about the "green flash" at sunrise/sunset. Most folks never see it- but if you have a really flat horizon, it happens at sunrise/ sunset.

winds-of-change 02-04-2012 05:07 AM

I saw something about 3 weeks ago. At first I thought it was a shooting star but it was much larger and it had a green tint to it. I think it might have been some space debris coming out of the atmosphere. Rocket parts or satellite or something. It was awesome!!

c3shooter 02-04-2012 05:24 AM

W-O-C, the green tint was due to the copper jacket. That was one of my "long range" shots re-entering the atmosphere.

REAL long range...........:p