Shooting Range Cooks

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shooting Range Cooks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting Range Cooks

I shoot at a "red neck" range outside of town and I meet the strangest people in the World there.

This past weekend this toothless guy started yelling at me because my gun was on it's side pointed down range. He demanded the gun be upright and made this sandbag fort in order to do it. I didn't argue! He's just one of many. Even the owner is an odd one. Huge Alex Jones fan.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #2

Was your firearm's action closed? Did you make sure it was unloaded?

I might agree with "toothless" if it weren't visibly "SAFE".

Old 05-25-2007, 05:36 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
Was your firearm's action closed? Did you make sure it was unloaded?

I might agree with "toothless" if it weren't visibly "SAFE".
If no one is 'playing' with it while I was down-range I don't even care if it's unloaded. I don't know anyone that has any guns that spontaneously discharge.
Do some of your firearms fire themselves?

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
If no one is 'playing' with it while I was down-range I don't even care if it's unloaded. I don't know anyone that has any guns that spontaneously discharge.
No, I never heard of firearms spontaneously firing when they're left alone. But I have heard of people messing with firearms and having them fire.

At the range I go to, the rules are pretty clear: any time anyone needs to cross the line to put up or take down a target, every firearm must be resting on a table (on its side is fine), unloaded, no mags, and a brightly-colored plastic open-bolt/empty-chamber indicator flag has to be in place to ensure it's empty. Everyone not going down range must stand several feet behind their firearm.

As for range kooks, yes, we get 'em too. That's why I keep a copy of the rule booklet with me whenever I go.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
At the range I go to, the rules are pretty clear: any time anyone needs to cross the line to put up or take down a target, every firearm must be resting on a table (on its side is fine), unloaded, no mags, and a brightly-colored plastic open-bolt/empty-chamber indicator flag has to be in place to ensure it's empty. Everyone not going down range must stand several feet behind their firearm.
Seems a bit redundant. If they are empty, why not play with them, and if you can't touch them, why unload and chamber-flag?

I often use a range where if you are at least 3 lanes away, you can keep shooting while someone is at the target stands. The range has been in operation at least since WW2 (maybe longer; but no one is really sure) and no one's been shot yet.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I initially though that this thread would be about having BBQs and pancake breakfasts at your range.

And/or teminating those 'range cooks' if they were substandard.

:lol:

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #7

Splatter, I agree with you about the bad range cooks, they should be banned and their aprons confiscated!

No, my guns don't fire themselves. I am glad that where you shoot that there have been no accidents. I prefer to take as much risk out of the equation as possible, so I want to visibly see that a gun that I may walk in front of IS UNLOADED. Call me a euphemism for a kitty cat, but I want to remain a LIVE kitty cat.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I used to go to this real thrashy range. There was this patron who would not even shoot. Just watch people and comment on what you are doing wrong. One time he told me a story that he went down range and someone started shooting on another range, they have handgun, rifle and long rifle, but the bullet jumped range and hit him. Showed me the wound and all.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
That's what we're told every day!!!! That's why they need to be baaaannned. Guns are vicious killers, duping peaceful, loving choirboys into committing crimes.

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I prefer to take as much risk out of the equation as possible, so I want to visibly see that a gun that I may walk in front of IS UNLOADED.
So you've been working to have the rules changed to require that the firearms be cased and put back into the vehicles they arrived in during each break in the firing?

I'm all for limiting risk; but there comes a point where further restrictions are pointless, and result in such small increases in potential safety as to be immeassurable.

If you reduce your risk so that you only expect someone to get shot every 100 years of operation, is it really going to be a safer range during your lifetime than a range that is set-up to only let someone get shot every 1000 years of operation? (getting shot at a firearms range is always a "non-zero" probability)

Franklin D. Roosvelt