Shooting a pistol underwater

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shooting a pistol underwater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting a pistol underwater

I was watching the outdoor channel tonight and there was a guns and ammo type show on. They were doing a test to see what would happen if a pistol was shot under water. They used a Springfield 1911, put a rubberband around the grip to hold in the safety. They then mounted it to a holder with a rope tied to the trigger, then submerged it into a swimming pool. The gun was discharged and ran the slide and loaded another round just like it should. They fired it a second time and it jammed, a casing got caught in the slide. The casing was removed and it fired a third time fully recoiling. They took the gun out of the pool and dismantled it. They found that the barrel was bowed out towards the end. They think this happened when the bullet traveled down the barrel and couldn't push the water forward so it pushed towards the outter edge of the barrel around the bullet, bowing the barrel out. The bullets traveled about 15 feet under water before they fell to the bottom. So NEVER fire a gun under water unless you want to ruin your barrel.

Proud NRA member

Last edited by MarkoPo; 01-24-2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Interesting, I have a video of Larry McGill shooting a Glock repeatedly under water with no ill effects to the gun at all. Likewise, Mythbusters have done it too. Now if you take the gun out of the water with water still in the barrel...BOOM!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

Personally I don't know about you guys but with fishing season approaching I think I will stick to the trusty rod and line............

Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Personally I don't know about you guys but with fishing season approaching I think I will stick to the trusty rod and line............
Hunting with a hook.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved