Shooting Outdoors On Your Own Land
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shooting Outdoors On Your Own Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Shooting Outdoors On Your Own Land

Condominium timeshares have been around for a long time - why not do the same thing for land - for hunting, camping, fishing and best of all shooting guns.

Is this a dumb idea? Why would it not work? Suppose you got 36 investors to invest $1400.00 each on a piece of land worth $50,000.00.

It could be a like a timeshare - each member gets to use it ten days out of the year.

If I had a deal like that I would be willing to drive a couple hours to take advantage of it. Being able to go to my own land and do some plinking, squirrel hunting, maybe a little camping by a stream would be awesome!

Maybe there would be a annual maintenance fee and we'd all meet once a year for projects (board of directors) - over a few years maybe even have enough funds to build a small lodge.

Or I reckon I could just join a hunting club...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I'm in like Flynn...is this just a why not thing or have you thought seriously about it?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I'm in like Flynn...is this just a why not thing or have you thought seriously about it?
Well, I'm hoping to get replies from someone who might have done this before or done research on it. I am considering it as a one year project because that's how long it would take me to save for it.

For right now, if there's enough people interested we can keep the dialogue open and try to address all of the practical matters, issues, concerns. So yes, I'm serious, but want to proceed cautiously. I have not contacted any Real Estate agents yet.

I've seen small one acre to five acre lots mostly towards the southwestern region of Virginia, starting around $15,000.0 to $25,000.00.

I would not want to have to drive much farther than that area since I live in Reston, just outside of DC. I would only consider something within driving distance, not flying, to help keep costs down.

Are you in North Carolina? I was born there. Is there any land near you that's good for hunting or camping?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
Well, I'm hoping to get replies from someone who might have done this before or done research on it. I am considering it as a one year project because that's how long it would take me to save for it.

For right now, if there's enough people interested we can keep the dialogue open and try to address all of the practical matters, issues, concerns. So yes, I'm serious, but want to proceed cautiously. I have not contacted any Real Estate agents yet.

I've seen small one acre to five acre lots mostly towards the southwestern region of Virginia, starting around $15,000.0 to $25,000.00.

I would not want to have to drive much farther than that area since I live in Reston, just outside of DC. I would only consider something within driving distance, not flying, to help keep costs down.

Are you in North Carolina? I was born there. Is there any land near you that's good for hunting or camping?
Meh, from here you'd be well advised to go west past the triad area (Greensboro, Winston Salem), urban sprawl is a bi**h. North central NC/SW VA is the best bet to still be able to drive it. (Whole lotta nothing out that way too) I've been discussing something similar with friends but so far it's just pipe dreaming. I'm always looking for a project, let me do some research, you've got my interest piqued!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

[QUOTE=NOVA;651345]I've seen small one acre to five acre lots mostly towards the southwestern region of Virginia, starting around $15,000.0 to $25,000.00.QUOTE]

Is all land that pricy up there?

That land is way overpriced. Land around here usually runs in the $1500 to $2000 an acre for really good land. Farther west (around Amarillo, El Paso, other areas with desert) you can get some land for around $500 an acre (there are also very few neighbors)

I like the idea of a land timeshare though.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Try looking WEST of Winchester VA. There is still farmland out there.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Try looking WEST of Winchester VA. There is still farmland out there.
Noted, thanks!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Isn't that about how a hunting club/lease is supposed to work? Our am I just completely lost?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Isn't that about how a hunting club/lease is supposed to work? Our am I just completely lost?
That's the way it works around here with the hunting clubs. A few hunting clubs have leased nearly all the public land in this area so hunting and shooting on open land is practically non-existent now.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
That's the way it works around here with the hunting clubs. A few hunting clubs have leased nearly all the public land in this area so hunting and shooting on open land is practically non-existent now.
Glad to see some good responses here. I've posted the same idea twice on a gun forum for Virgiunia Gun Owners and have not had this kind of response.

I have never been a member of a hunting club, but the ones I looked in to seem kind of expensive. Also get the impression you need to kow someone to get invited to join. I'm OK with joining a hunting club but would rather have a little more freedom to go do what I want on some mutually owned land. Like a timeshare concept, certain days of the year would be reserved exclusively for each co-owner's use.