Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Shooting Outdoors On Your Own Land (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/shooting-outdoors-your-own-land-53530/)

NOVA 12-13-2011 10:29 PM

Shooting Outdoors On Your Own Land
 
Condominium timeshares have been around for a long time - why not do the same thing for land - for hunting, camping, fishing and best of all shooting guns.

Is this a dumb idea? Why would it not work? Suppose you got 36 investors to invest $1400.00 each on a piece of land worth $50,000.00.

It could be a like a timeshare - each member gets to use it ten days out of the year.

If I had a deal like that I would be willing to drive a couple hours to take advantage of it. Being able to go to my own land and do some plinking, squirrel hunting, maybe a little camping by a stream would be awesome!

Maybe there would be a annual maintenance fee and we'd all meet once a year for projects (board of directors) - over a few years maybe even have enough funds to build a small lodge.

Or I reckon I could just join a hunting club...

vincent 12-13-2011 10:32 PM

I'm in like Flynn...is this just a why not thing or have you thought seriously about it?

NOVA 12-14-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 651070)
I'm in like Flynn...is this just a why not thing or have you thought seriously about it?

Well, I'm hoping to get replies from someone who might have done this before or done research on it. I am considering it as a one year project because that's how long it would take me to save for it.

For right now, if there's enough people interested we can keep the dialogue open and try to address all of the practical matters, issues, concerns. So yes, I'm serious, but want to proceed cautiously. I have not contacted any Real Estate agents yet.

I've seen small one acre to five acre lots mostly towards the southwestern region of Virginia, starting around $15,000.0 to $25,000.00.

I would not want to have to drive much farther than that area since I live in Reston, just outside of DC. I would only consider something within driving distance, not flying, to help keep costs down.

Are you in North Carolina? I was born there. Is there any land near you that's good for hunting or camping?

vincent 12-14-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVA (Post 651345)
Well, I'm hoping to get replies from someone who might have done this before or done research on it. I am considering it as a one year project because that's how long it would take me to save for it.

For right now, if there's enough people interested we can keep the dialogue open and try to address all of the practical matters, issues, concerns. So yes, I'm serious, but want to proceed cautiously. I have not contacted any Real Estate agents yet.

I've seen small one acre to five acre lots mostly towards the southwestern region of Virginia, starting around $15,000.0 to $25,000.00.

I would not want to have to drive much farther than that area since I live in Reston, just outside of DC. I would only consider something within driving distance, not flying, to help keep costs down.

Are you in North Carolina? I was born there. Is there any land near you that's good for hunting or camping?

Meh, from here you'd be well advised to go west past the triad area (Greensboro, Winston Salem), urban sprawl is a bi**h. North central NC/SW VA is the best bet to still be able to drive it. (Whole lotta nothing out that way too) I've been discussing something similar with friends but so far it's just pipe dreaming. I'm always looking for a project, let me do some research, you've got my interest piqued!

texaswoodworker 12-14-2011 02:33 AM

[QUOTE=NOVA;651345]I've seen small one acre to five acre lots mostly towards the southwestern region of Virginia, starting around $15,000.0 to $25,000.00.QUOTE]

Is all land that pricy up there?:eek:

That land is way overpriced. Land around here usually runs in the $1500 to $2000 an acre for really good land. Farther west (around Amarillo, El Paso, other areas with desert) you can get some land for around $500 an acre (there are also very few neighbors:D)

I like the idea of a land timeshare though.

c3shooter 12-14-2011 02:35 AM

Try looking WEST of Winchester VA. There is still farmland out there.

vincent 12-14-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 651377)
Try looking WEST of Winchester VA. There is still farmland out there.

Noted, thanks! :D

trip286 12-14-2011 03:30 AM

Isn't that about how a hunting club/lease is supposed to work? Our am I just completely lost?

MidnightExpress 12-14-2011 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 651472)
Isn't that about how a hunting club/lease is supposed to work? Our am I just completely lost?

That's the way it works around here with the hunting clubs. A few hunting clubs have leased nearly all the public land in this area so hunting and shooting on open land is practically non-existent now.

NOVA 12-14-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 651472)
Isn't that about how a hunting club/lease is supposed to work? Our am I just completely lost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightExpress (Post 651509)
That's the way it works around here with the hunting clubs. A few hunting clubs have leased nearly all the public land in this area so hunting and shooting on open land is practically non-existent now.

Glad to see some good responses here. I've posted the same idea twice on a gun forum for Virgiunia Gun Owners and have not had this kind of response.

I have never been a member of a hunting club, but the ones I looked in to seem kind of expensive. Also get the impression you need to kow someone to get invited to join. I'm OK with joining a hunting club but would rather have a little more freedom to go do what I want on some mutually owned land. Like a timeshare concept, certain days of the year would be reserved exclusively for each co-owner's use.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.