Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Shooting moles in the yard.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/shooting-moles-yard-45171/)

LONGHAIR 07-14-2011 09:05 AM

Shooting moles in the yard....

O K Yesterday I keep hearing ...BANG..BANG..BANG...outside my house...I have alot of woods on the back and side of my house...Anyway...My neighbor on the other side is a older man,that has 13 farm tractors in his pole barn,and has been around alot longer then me,so I guess he knows what he's doing ???....I see him out side in the field part of his yard and he's shooting at the ground...So I go-out and see what he's shooting-at...Maybe a snake or something...He says,I'm shooting moles with my 22 pistol...How-You-Doing their Sonny-Boy....and he looks like Santa,just the beard is darker...So we talk about how the moles keep coming-up out of the woods faster then you can kill-them....I say I kill the ones that get close to the house with a water-hose and flush them-out...He said he likes to sit in the shade in the lawn-chair with a cold ice-tea and wait for the moles to start moving about mid-morning,then shoot them with his 22 pistol...I've never seen him out there before this year and I've had this house about five years now...So anyway...Like I say,he's been around a lot longer then me...but...shooting into the ground right in front of you,doesn't seem that smart to me...Maybe it's just me...I don't know....If you hit a rock or something...look-out....I was just wandering what other people thought ???...It's only a 22 pistol...I'm also looking for bullet-holes in the side of my house...if he's shooting at the ground right in front of him...Who knowswhere else he's shooting....What do you THINK ???....CRAZY or NOT CRAZY ???....:confused:

orangello 07-14-2011 01:02 PM

Maybe he just couldn't find his suppressor yesterday? Was the barrel threaded perchance?

winds-of-change 07-14-2011 01:17 PM

Probably not crazy but it isn't the smartest thing to do. That's probably what they did 50 years ago when there were no neighbors nearby. But that's the key phrase "when there were no neighbors nearby". Is he at least sitting with his back to your property?

JonM 07-14-2011 01:27 PM

I vote nuts. Might take him some snake shot 22s to show he needs to switch to a more effective anti-mole round since they have a wider pattern and he can get more moles dead per shot...

Least you wouldnt have to worry about the coot winging some rounds at your house when he decides the moles are climbing your walls or coming from your house instead of the woods

LONGHAIR 07-14-2011 02:09 PM

Bird-Shot or Snake Shot...Good Idea.....I don't know witch way he sits,that was the first time I saw him with a gun...Me and my friends shoot-off my back porch all the time...but that was the first time I ever seen him shooting...I vote :CRAZY...He's nice anuff,always putting around on one of his many farm tractors that he takes to tractor shows....Maybe that's how they did it back-in the day,..That's where they came-up with the game WACK-A-MOLE....Anyway...Just seem's kind of crazy to shoot at your feet...

winds-of-change 07-14-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 540963)
Bird-Shot or Snake Shot...Good Idea.....I don't know witch way he sits,that was the first time I saw him with a gun...Me and my friends shoot-off my back porch all the time...but that was the first time I ever seen him shooting...I vote :CRAZY...He's nice anuff,always putting around on one of his many farm tractors that he takes to tractor shows....Maybe that's how they did it back-in the day,..That's where they came-up with the game WACK-A-MOLE....Anyway...Just seem's kind of crazy to shoot at your feet...

WOW! I didn't realize he was shooting that close. :eek:

LONGHAIR 07-14-2011 05:08 PM

YES...When I walked-over there he was shooting 2' or 3' foot-out in front of him...That was the second mole he shot yesterday-morning he said....You have to be real-still,they can feel the vib's of your foot steps under ground....That's what the old-timer told me,anyway...and that's why he sit's in a lawn-chair...makes sense I guess....He doesn't give much leeway for dirt flying....Again it's only a 22 pistol,but I was tolled growing-up don't shoot in front of you in the dirt,a rock or something can be right under the dirt and the bullet can go anywhere...:confused:

IGETEVEN 07-14-2011 09:32 PM

I use a a crossbow, much quieter, less disruptive of the area and the mole will come back quicker to tunnel if missed. :cool:

Dennis845 07-14-2011 11:03 PM

This gentleman is severely under gunned IMO. More people are attacked and die from aggressive moles than lions, tigers, hippos, bears and grass hoppers combined in the United States each year. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has named the "ground mole" the #1 threat to farmer security...

www.killermoles/yard/threat/watchout.joke

:eek:

lonyaeger 07-14-2011 11:06 PM

I dunno, Cindy Crawford has a trademark mole that has basically become her signature. She doesn't seem to mind.