Are the Shooting Benches in the Way?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Are the Shooting Benches in the Way?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Are the Shooting Benches in the Way?

I don't know about you guys, but I can never get comfortable on the shooting bench. I wish the ranges I go to would support shooting from prone and kneeling positions.

Shooting Ranges Need to Support More Shooting Positions

I know, I know. It's just a minor peeve.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I don't normally go to the range anymore, for many reasons, including the shooting bench.

Most of the time, I'll go to a friend's property out in the country when I want to shoot.

By shooting on my friend's property, I also avoid the mall ninjas and other morons that have infested my local range.

I prefer to shoot either standing, or kneeling. Benches are good if you're trying to sight in a scope, but IMO that's about it.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

i was at my favorite range last weekend and found out they changed their policy we can now shoot standing sitting prone kneeling or at the bench. last year it was bench only.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I stand to shoot a pistol. I sit at a bench to shoot my rifles. I agree that each rifle range should offer a section for position shooters to practice.

I love shooting off the bench trying to squeeze the smallest group out of myself and rifle that I can.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Our range has concerete benches (with scrap carpet covering them) but we can shoot any position. When the Anarchist-in-training first started shooting with me there, she was too small to sit in the chair, and reach the bench, so she learned sitting position- on top of the bench. Range allows use of any position- prone, kneeling, sitting, squatting, offhand, bench.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My local rifle ranges have concrete benches, but shooting is allowed from any position.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the last actual range I went to what Taylorsville, I hated the benches they were set to low, they had large metal tubs with angled plates on the ends so if you shot to fare to either side or high it angled the round into the ground. I hated it I'm 5,10" I almost had my chin on the table just to see the bulls eye. Generally I go to family owned property to shoot fold out table with some sand bags and boom its good. Some time the benches get in the way.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."