Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shipping Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Default Shipping Guns

Something ive been looking into and came across this.. Thought it could be of use to some of you.

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting-firearm-collecting/all-about-shipping-guns

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

That agrees with what I have been able to learn about it. One thing that makes it difficult for me to accept is that I've seen the federal law which does not specify a handgun must go via overnight transit, not does it state that you must notify UPS or Fedex that it is a handgun. But, the BATF ruling does state that you must notify them. That means the BATF is making law & that's a job for elected officials in the legislature, another means by which the liberals are circumventing our constitution. It is much simpler & cheaper to have my LGS ship it for me via USPS.

Another thing which may only apply to my area, is my LGS told me that UPS in this area will not accept handguns, even when FFL to FFL! For that reason, I refuse to use UPS for ANYTHING. Personally, if it appears to be a simple repair, I will pay a local gunsmith to repair it rather than ship it for warranty.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #3

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I've shipped shower curtain rods. Don't know what you guys are talking about guns for....

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7559 Times on 3292 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Good article. To maybe add just a bit to it-

1. There are TWO circumstances where a firearm can be shipped interstate without a FFL receiving it. (A) When shipping to yourself, say, at a hunting lodge (no transfer of ownership) and (B) the executor of an estate can ship a firearm directly to the inheritor IF it is legal for inheritor to possess THAT firearm in THAT location. 18 USC 922 C 3. BTW, if you send a gun for repair, it can be shipped directly back to you. If your gun could not BE repaired, a like gun can be returned to you (directly) in it's place. Again, 18 USC 922.

2. UPS will ship firearms. So does FedEx. Not from the storefronts- those are privately owned franchises. Go to the hub. They will want to know that it is going TO a FFL. Both require HANDGUNS be shipped Next Day Air. Long guns can be shipped Ground.

However, that will run you about $65-$75, You may be better off finding a Dealer that will MAIL the handgun to another dealer. Even after paying him for his time, and a Priority Mail Flat Rate box, will likely be cheaper.

3. UPS will ship ammo by GROUND only- 66 pounds or less is NOT HAZMAT. That does not apply to tracer, HE, Primers or Powder. As said in the article, NEVER attempt to mail ammo, powder, primers. BRASS and BULLETS (not cartridges) can be mailed.

Expect that, sooner or later, you will encounter a clerk that will tell you that you cannot do something. First, go on line, either to the Domestic Mail Manual (Restricted Mailings) or the UPS Tariffs (their rules) print them out, have them in your hip pocket. Second, say the magic words- "May I please see your supervisor now?"

PS- I am a collector. My mailman and my UPS guys see me on a regular basis. I make sure they are smiling at Christmas time. They take GOOD care of me.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #5

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
PS- I am a collector. My mailman and my UPS guys see me on a regular basis. I make sure they are smiling at Christmas time. They take GOOD care of me.
What, you get them gift certificates for the chiropractor?
My UPS guy makes me unload my packages..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7559 Times on 3292 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Trez, they get small limited edition steel engravings of US presidents and statesmen. Like Andy Jackson, US Grant, etc.

The UPS guy also gets a can of polish for his hernia truss.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.