Sheriff says Ga. toddler killed by 7 dogs in yard as mother, other adults were inside
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sheriff says Ga. toddler killed by 7 dogs in yard as mother, other adults were inside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Default Sheriff says Ga. toddler killed by 7 dogs in yard as mother, other adults were inside

Can I ask, WTF (what the frack) over? Do we still believe the family pit (or any breed/animal) is safe with the kids? Over the last 4 years I've seen at least 7 of these stories and I don't go looking for them.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/29/sheriff-says-ga-toddler-killed-by-7-dogs-in-yard-as-mother-other-adults-were/?test=latestnews

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 03-30-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It's the people/owners, not the dogs, that are the problem.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Who leaves a toddler outside alone?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Who leaves a toddler outside alone?
Apparently a TEEN MOM living in a home with three or four generations of her family. Sad, but there are reasons kids shouldn't have kids at their earliest opportunity.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Indeed. The sad thing is some folks think their dog is unfailingly protective of their children. In many cases, this is true. Yet given the right set of circumstances the dog will behave aggressively when the child does something that, in dog language, does not jive.

For example, we have 2 Yorkshire Terriers. When my 2 year old gets in either of the dog's faces after chasing them around (under our watch, never to the extent of abuse), the dog will eventually growl and/or bare teeth. Of course, we correct both the kid and the dog immediately. However, when you're talking about a 50 - 80 pound animal and a toddler the possibility for grave injury is high. The possibility of grievous injury goes through the roof without supervision.

I've even seen some news stories (where the child is killed or maimed) when the dog is allowed free reign in an infant's room/sleeping area.

Here's my point: It's a dog people, not your child, act accordingly. This type of thing really makes my heart hurt for those children and unequivocally ticks me off.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 03-29-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #6

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over

Indeed. The sad thing is some folks think their dog is unfailingly protective of their children. In many cases, this is true. Yet given the right set of circumstances the dog will behave aggressively when the child does something that, in dog language, does not jive.

For example, we have 2 Yorkshire Terriers. When my 2 year old gets in either of the dog's faces after chasing them around (under our watch, never to the extent of abuse), the dog will eventually growl and/or bare teeth. Of course, we correct both the kid and the dog immediately. However, when you're talking about a 50 - 80 pound animal and a toddler the possibility for grave injury is high. The possibility of grievous injury goes through the roof without supervision.

I've even seen some news stories (where the child is killed or maimed) when the dog is allowed free reign in an infant's room/sleeping area.

Here's my point: It's a dog people, not your child, act accordingly. This type of thing really makes my heart hurt for those children and unequivocally ticks me off.
I think you hit it right on the head Jp,when I first heard 7 pit/ pit mixes I thought immediately that they were fighting dogs. But the article says it was a bitch and a litter of that dogs that it had 16 months ago. Sounds like one of them didnt take well to something the child did and then pack mentality took over from there.

Sad really,glad they were put down. If it was me they wouldn't have lasted till the first squad car got there though,family pet or not.

I also thought that the owners should probably have been put down as well as the dogs,but it seems the child went through the doggie door to get outside with the dogs,while very unfortunate I don't see much of the fault laying on the mother. Children at that age are very curious and you can't keep an eye on them all the time,and even though the effort should have been made, it could have been only a matter of seconds between when the adults were out of sight and the time it took for 7 dogs to kill the child.

If the dog food bowls were right outside the back door then the kid could have crawled out and one of the dogs that was food-defensive could have incited the attack as soon as the child cleared the doggie door.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

Pit bulls were originally bred as "nanny" dogs to watch toddlers. They're very good at it, because they're naturally protective and easily trained.

Unfortunately, the ease of training also makes it very easy for "macho" arse-wholes to train them to be be fighters.

Does anyone remember the evolution of

"Them damned vicious devil dogs that oughtta be outlawed, by golly"

60s Boxers
70s, German Shepherds'
80s Rottweilers
90s Dobermans

Now, Pit Bulls

Next???????????

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Pit bulls were originally bred as "nanny" dogs to watch toddlers. They're very good at it, because they're naturally protective and easily trained.

Unfortunately, the ease of training also makes it very easy for "macho" arse-wholes to train them to be be fighters.

Does anyone remember the evolution of

"Them damned vicious devil dogs that oughtta be outlawed, by golly"

60s Boxers
70s, German Shepherds'
80s Rottweilers
90s Dobermans

Now, Pit Bulls

Next???????????
My outrage is mostly against a growing trend of careless parents who happen to be animal (of any type or breed) owners. And I agree about any type of "ban"; in fact, I don't advocate government solutions to just about anything as we all know how these turn out.

Not sure where you got the info on how/why pit bulls were originally bred, but here's the most common explanation of their origin:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/pit_bull.aspx

Any of several cross-breeds of bulldog and terrier. Examples include the American pit bull terrier, bull terrier, and Staffordshire bull terrier. The English bull terrier, measuring c.40cm (16in) at the shoulder, was originally developed for bull-baiting. The American pit bull terrier, not an official breed, is c.50cm (20in) at the shoulder and was bred as a aggressive watchdog. Weight: up to 23kg (50lb).

I haven't read anywhere that the dogs were originally bred to watch toddlers and I would consider having any animal "watch over" my child as the height of irresponsibility and criminality. Of course, some parents find this out the hard way and suffer from the lesson for the rest of their lives.

Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 03-30-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I don't believe it is always the owner and not the dog. Yet, I don't fault the dogs. Just like there are "field labradors" and "pet labradors" I believe there is a line of Pits that are much more likely to fight than some other pits. Many breeders breed for temperament and I think there are many who breed 'fighting pits' vs. nice, friendly pits. I don't blame the dogs, just like I don't blame my Border Collie for wanting to herd anything that moves quickly.

Would I want a Pit.........no, I wouldn't.

And after reading the article.........whoa! That is some family dynamics.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-30-2013 at 06:43 AM.
jp_over Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 946 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Very sad.

We have no kids, so we feel safe having a pair of the most fierce breed on the planet, the Maltese. Lol

Having large aggressive dogs around kids, ends in failure quite often.

Our dogs, outside bad photography, would never harm anyone. Good watch ears to let us know what is going on.

Companionship does not have to be killers, or capable of killing. To allow this to happen by close contact with aggressive breed dogs, even if nothing happens, is child endangerment.

It is like letting a child play with matches.

Just like you buy your kids toys, buy your kids toy breed companion animals. You would not buy your child a table saw, why buy them a pit bull?

The bottom image of Sugar Bee looks mean, till the pink top gives it away.

forumrunner_20130330_014629.jpg

'

forumrunner_20130330_014311.jpg

Last edited by AR10; 03-30-2013 at 06:54 AM.