Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > shatterd ankle,got surgery,recovering..what next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default shatterd ankle,got surgery,recovering..what next?

OK,ik this is gun forum but ik some of you r former/active military or active people so this might be something one of you might know bout.
2-3mo ago i was in a car accident,resulting in my left ankle being smashed up requiring plate n screw surgery and relocating up to ny ...well im now on to the recovery/physician therapy stage now n its progressing.
But i have a question for those who have had broken ankles that required plate/screw or pin surgery? are you able to do all the physical activities you were able to before the incident/surgery? As i used to snowboard,ride bmx,mtn bike etc and honestly id love too continue those post recovery period. any info would be amazing thank you.

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I personally have not broken my ankle(knock on wood), but being a motocross racer i have broken both my wrists, both arms, and my right hand in four spots. I have had my fair share of pins and all that good stuff. I do have some friends though that have broken both of their ankles in one hit, also had friends shatter every bone in there ankle and foot and they appear to be doing pretty good. Physically they are not held back at all, but I know they do still suffer from the occasional pops, and aches of having done such serious damage. I wish you the best of luck with your recover and i hope God will bless you, allowing you to heal up properly and not be limited at all.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyerracing343 View Post
I personally have not broken my ankle(knock on wood), but being a motocross racer i have broken both my wrists, both arms, and my right hand in four spots. I have had my fair share of pins and all that good stuff. I do have some friends though that have broken both of their ankles in one hit, also had friends shatter every bone in there ankle and foot and they appear to be doing pretty good. Physically they are not held back at all, but I know they do still suffer from the occasional pops, and aches of having done such serious damage. I wish you the best of luck with your recover and i hope God will bless you, allowing you to heal up properly and not be limited at all.
thank you,i hope to recover fully and be as able as i was before.i am already anticipate the aching when it rains,pops n the normal stuff resulting from serious ankle injurys,but eh sh!t happens ya know.I'm glad to hear people you know with similar injury's/repairs aren't physically held back,gives me hope most definetly.

S&W sigma 9mm
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 30

A lot of it has to do with consistent exercise, and physical therapy. (Im sure you already knew this ) Too bad your local because i know a great physical therapist that could hook you up with some work outs and exercises that you could do easily at home or on the go, and they could help improve your performance. But once again i wish you the best of luck.

Also when i stated that the previous athletics still perform at a strong level, i mean in the professional level of motocross, so they are doing some serious activity that is extremely punishing on the body.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6149 Times on 3729 Posts
Likes Given: 7024

I broke my right ankle in a car accident in 1976. I recommend you follow through with physical therapy to the max. Back when I broke my ankle, they took the cast off after 3 months and said "Just start using it. Full use will return." Well, it did but I definitely have a smaller range of motion in that ankle and it is weaker than my left ankle. But it does not and never has hampered me from doing whatever it is I wanted to do. I rode horses for many years after that broken ankle. And riding horses requires a pretty flexible ankle. I think you'll be able to do anything you want. At least I hope. Do talk to your doctor about your concerns. He may have better answers for you.

My ankle has gotten stiffer and less mobile as I've aged. Probably because I've slowed down in general.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7396 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 9511

Start using essential oils on your ankle. White Fir oil works miracles in healing bones. Helichrysum helps with scar tissue and healing joints. There are more. PM me if you are interested.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Liked 111 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 229

What-Next ????.....BACK to WORK........Bummer.........

Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
What-Next ????.....BACK to WORK........Bummer.........
honestly i cant wait to start working again...i miss the people i worked with and hell sitting around all day doing nothing doesn't suit me in all honestly..plus i liked makin what i make in 2 wks on unemployment in 1 week at my job,lol i loves me $

S&W sigma 9mm