Shaking from shooting? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shaking from shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It is impossible to hold a handgun totally rigid. A shooter that is not accustomed to free hand shooting will squeeze the gun and over correct. The tighter you hold the more you shake.
This is the most common problem for instructors teaching NRA Handgun Basics.

barney.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10785

I have found that I will tense up because I am trying to counteract the shaking. That doesn't work. Hasn't happened for quite awhile for me, but I do see it in people who don't shoot frequently. I advise them to relax, don't lock their elbows (this always induces shaking when aiming) and shoot smoothly and rapidly. Sometimes it helps to drop the gun down and then bring it back up with every shot to get more comfortable, this also helps with developing sight acquisition and crude point shooting skills- or maybe the beginnings of it.

The key is to relax I think (barring any medical issues). No caffiene or tobacco is a good idea as well (and not just for when you are shooting!)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

So it sounds like I need to relax more, work on my stance and cut the caffeine.

I only smoke socially, a cigar occasionally. I can't stand cigarets and don't smoke daily.

Thanks for the help guys ill keep it in mind next time I go shooting!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #24

And for a little levity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzcgyk62cHU

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
beaglesam Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

If it is not a medical condition, maybe find some relaxation techniques or find your happy place prior to the range. Bet you go to the range to wind down, but you find that you can not (just a guess though). I wind down by listening to rock music, but I am weird like that. People around does make some people nervous. Like trying to type on the computer while someone is watching.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #26

I am actually trying to get myself to meditate, and I hope to be able to do it at the range. It would definitely help.

Quote:

Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Could be a great many things. Short of a nuerogical exam, I'd suggest a "weak side" stance.

Take a 1/2 step forward with your off side foot. This will turn your weak shoulder toward the target.

As you present your pistol to the target you'll be pressing your strong side bicept into your strong side pectoral muscle. Now raise your arm up above your peck and drop your arm back to perpendicular. This will rest your bicept on your peck and increase the reach of your weak hand allowing it to put strong steady back pressure on your firing hand.

Doing it right should take the shake away and allow you to shoot more accurately.

Tack
You know I use a very similar stance when I'm not feeling 100% I have back issues and stability is not always as easy as it should be. So if I see myself being a little unsteady I'll adjust and it does wonders for my shooting.

To the OP it might be nerves though. You say you are not pistol shooting as often being a long gun shooter. It might be apprehension sneaking in and causing a reaction. It might be worth getting checked out just to know though.

You said you where going to try shooting alone. That might take some pressure off you that you might not even be aware of. So that is a good idea. The stance Tack talked about is a little funky when you first try it but I've found it to get very natural really quick.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #28

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

When I was young and learning how to shoot a deer rifle...I would shake like a leaf. It was a Marlin .35 ...I loved the gun but eventually had to go to a .270 because I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. The .270 was great for me because it improved my confidence level.
For me, shooting (like most things) requires confidence in what you are doing. Even if it is not conscious, a lack of confidence in your ability can cause your nervous system to do crazy things. The other day I was shooting my .22 rifle. I have some pesky varmints on my property and I noticed one at a great distance away (65 yards...ranged after the shot) I do not shoot a .22 at that distance often but I had a good rest and was hidden from the varmints view. Having time, I did not rush the shot and really paid attention to what I was doing. As I was about to pull the trigger, I felt my whole body tense up and then my body shifted forward and moved over the rifle significantly changing the shot. I stopped...gathered myself.. and went back through my steps. Single shot to the head at 65 yards. The target was the equivalent size of the ten ring on pistol paper.
I tell this story for two reasons...one is that I learned a lot about what my body does if I do not pay attention pre-shot...and two is that I learned that I am able to control my bodies response to the stress if I am aware of it. Shooting has always been one of those things that I desire to be good at..in my younger days, I simply psyched myself out to the point that I was awful...I am much improved now that I can pay closer attention to my bodies reaction to the stress. Try to pay close attention to what your body tells you pre-shot...this may improve your shaking.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1917 Times on 1360 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Default Milk shake.............

Go buy you self a a 22 revolver and a couple of bricks of ammo. Go out in da woods and shoot at them little tomato sauce cans.....Over time the shakes will stop..............Time heals..............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

People Like This 
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #30

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Try shakin n tyPin into an iPod Touch!