Shaking from shooting? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Shaking from shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7212 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 14703

Were you the deputy in Blazing Saddles?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #12

Liked 2390 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I always shake the first few minutes from excitement.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
I always shake the first few minutes from excitement.
That happens to me too!

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 05-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #14

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Could be a great many things. Short of a nuerogical exam, I'd suggest a "weak side" stance.

Take a 1/2 step forward with your off side foot. This will turn your weak shoulder toward the target.

As you present your pistol to the target you'll be pressing your strong side bicept into your strong side pectoral muscle. Now raise your arm up above your peck and drop your arm back to perpendicular. This will rest your bicept on your peck and increase the reach of your weak hand allowing it to put strong steady back pressure on your firing hand.

Doing it right should take the shake away and allow you to shoot more accurately.

Tack

Old 05-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #15

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Happens to me occasionally, from nerves. Yes, shooting makes me nervous, but not because of what you would think. I'm not scared. I'm competing with myself. I know how good of a marksman I am, and I'm trying to better myself. There have been many times I've just set my gun down and walked away. I'll go take a piss, wash my hands, have a drink of water. Used to smoke a cigarette between strings. HEY!! Do you smoke? That could have something to do with it.

Anyways... I just pay attention. When I feel the tremor start to happen, or I see my sights wobble more than what's normal, I just take a break. I've also been known to do some calisthenics between strings. Helps to loosen up some muscles that I've been concentrating on during shooting.

What's the weather like where you are lately? For me, I'm like a reptile, I thrive in the sun and heat. Makes me feel good. Awake and aware, loose and relaxed. The cold... I hate the cold. My shoulders tense up, my legs tremble, I shiver constantly... Even when I'm dressed warmly, which is always because I hate it so much. Cold weather, to me, is about as terrible as a bathtub full of spiders. I get migraines from being so tense. Even my eyebrows hurt from my forehead being tensed in cold weather. I don't even like restroom breaks because I have to touch THAT with my cold hands, and then a full bladder just makes me even more miserable.

As said, there's also just the prospect of other shooters. Human nature is to shy away from loud, sudden noises. Look at little Albert and the white rat (YouTube it). Little Albert comes to associate the cuddly white rat with a loud gong, and suddenly that white rat don't seem so cuddly anymore. You may not have a conscious fear of guns. But you may be associating loud sudden noises with other people shooting guns. This could wreak havoc on your mind and body. Make sure you are using proper fitting ear plugs. I prefer gunfire to sound like a muffled pop during practice. If it doesn't, I adjust or replace my plugs. I use cheap foam rubber plugs too, you don't have to get fancy. I've lost too much hearing from machinegun fire to NOT try to protect what I have left...

Old 05-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #16

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I bought some spray paint and the instructions said to shake vigorously before use. I did and hurt my neck so bad I had to go to the doctor. Were you following any (my lawyer and I maintain) poorly written instructions perhaps?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-05-2013 at 02:46 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I bought some spray paint and the instructions said to shake vigorously before use. I did and hurt my neck so bad I had to go to the doctor. Did you misunderstand any instructions perhaps?
gee Hock, i am sure your sarcastic remarks are real helpful here to the OP.

if you can't offer something constructive to the issue the OP has, then try exiting the thread. it would be appreciated by all.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #18

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I believe it's the adrenaline surge. The loud noises, excitement, and anticipation of shooting prompt the parasympathetic (flight) system to kick in which causes the adrenaline buildup. After shooting for a while that surge can cause muscles to fatigue much faster. The combination of the slight muscle fatigue and consequent adrenal dump is usually what causes the shakes.

Had that when I first started shooting. Usually happens to new shooters or those switching to new weapons. Slowly focusing on basics like grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and follow through, usually will allow you to condition yourself to work amongst it as opposed to against it.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Tack

Thanks for the stance advice, ill try that next time I'm out! I was never really taught how it shoot more of a line up the sights and don't point at any one, treat as if loaded kind of teacher.
Trip

Weather here's great, sunny and 75ish. I only smoke socially so I doubt that would help but ill try taking a break when it starts then try again.

I have noticed it decreased the longer I'm out shooting and as I become more familiar with the gun so maybe that's part of it.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #20

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oh, I don't recommend smoking! I smoked for over half my short life, and regret it severely. I was thinking that if you're a chain smoker like I was, then you may be starting to feel the effects of withdrawal within 30 minutes.