Sh*tstorm over swearing on US TV - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sh*tstorm over swearing on US TV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Why do movie and video game makers assume that just because I like a good action flick or game I want to constantly hear the F word and watch a bunch of naked people run around?

A large number of crappy Hollywood-ised movies today are gratuitously contrived for supposed 'shock value' in this regard, but in some of the grittier hard-edged films like Brit Mike Leigh makes, it fits very well.

Depends on the context, IMO.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 07-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm with goju on this one. I don't want to hear the language people are using in movies and on tv. I don't want the government telling me what I can and cannot do but I would be scared to let my kid watch anything on TV without me seeing it first.

Have you heard a conversation between a couple of young people out in public lately? Their language is terrible!!! I can't even stand in line at a the Brewster's for some ice cream with my wife without a bunch of kids coming up behind us an cursing like sailors. You should see the look on their face when you say something to them.
Don't get me wrong, I've used some of those same words and still do on occassion but those occassions are becoming farther and farther apart and certainly aren't in the presence of women or children.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm with goju on this one. I don't want to hear the language people are using in movies and on tv. I don't want the government telling me what I can and cannot do but I would be scared to let my kid watch anything on TV without me seeing it first.

Have you heard a conversation between a couple of young people out in public lately? Their language is terrible!!! I can't even stand in line at a the Brewster's for some ice cream with my wife without a bunch of kids coming up behind us an cursing like sailors. You should see the look on their face when you say something to them.
Don't get me wrong, I've used some of those same words and still do on occassion but those occassions are becoming farther and farther apart and certainly aren't in the presence of women or children.
I'm always getting that look from people. I'll say ,"do you mind the language? I have kids right here." Or, "little ears please!"

Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I thought it was just me getting old, but some shows/movies just overuse the cursing for MY taste. I loved "knocked up" but hated that every third word was the F word (unfair portrayel of the hempified, IMO).

My sister has or had this box on her TV that would filter & beep out the curse words; sometimes, i could see that being enjoyable. Goju, if they still make those boxes, you might consider one for family TV time.

Rick, they have to make the naked people run around; they look silly just standing there.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.