Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Serial number?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2265 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Pretty much my thought. Some DB could report YOUR guns stolen in HIS burglary and have LE go after YOU to get HIS gun back for him. Omitting the last two or three characters of the S/N will still enable the potential purchaser to determine the pedigree and year of manufacture.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You don't post serial numbers all over the place because you just shouldn't do it.

there are people out there that don't like you for what ever reason. That is all they have to do.

Say you have an ex girlfriend that is just a tad on the effing crazy biznatch side of things (NINJA PLEASE We all have them). She is cyberstalking you an sees that you posted a serial number of one of your guns on the interwebs. Now being the crazy she is takes that number down and calls the PO PO (Police) and says. I just noticed that my pinking 176 loundenpuffer is missing it is valued at $3500 and here is the sieral number I think it was my ex that took it because I seen him posting the serial number on the interwebs at w1ww.idiotgunowners.com/net/edu/forum.
This is good enough reason for me. Thanks for a very logical reason against it!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #13

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
At least on the firearms that I didn't have to already register the serial number with the feds. already...
Let's address this first. Where do you live, and how exactly did you get your guns on the federal registration list?

You didn't. Since there is no FEDERAL firearms registry. A handful of states require it, but the feds do not.

Second, I do it for the same reason as has already been denoted. If I don't put that info out there. Nobody can falsely state that its theirs.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Agree- but sometimes you need some of the number. Gent was selling a Marlin lever action. SOME of that model are old enuff to be covered by my C&R FFL, some are not. Year is denoted by letter prefix of the SN. Asked one seller what the letter prefix was- got instant paranoia.

I serve on a firearms question forum- gent wanted to know what year was his Ruger made- SN 12XXXXX. We told him his Ruger was made in 19XX.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Let's address this first. Where do you live, and how exactly did you get your guns on the federal registration list?

You didn't. Since there is no FEDERAL firearms registry. A handful of states require it, but the feds do not...
I seem to remember seeing the gun stores copy it down when they call in my background check. Maybe it is only going on the store paperwork and not the gov paperwork?!?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2265 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 159

The S/N is written on the form 4476 at the store when you purchase it. That form stay in the store until the store goes out of business. The forms are then sent to ATF who is forbidden by law from computerizing. ATF can go to the store and inspect their records. They can take notes from the forms but the form stays in the store. I occasionally send requests to ATF to trace a record. Generally it is because a gun was stolen in a burglary and the owner does not have the S/N. ATF can look up the forms from defunct dealers but I have to give them store name and address, purchaser name and DOB, make, model and caliber of the firearm and month and year of the purchase. They have to physically look at the form 4476's kept in archives. it usually takes a few days to get a response.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball