Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Serial number?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Serial number?!?

What is the point of people being secretive about their firearm serial numbers? Whenever you see someone selling or discussing a firearm, they are always vague about the serial number (like - This rifle is a 6XX,XXX serial number, so it was made in 1962).

Is there a reason other than being scared/paranoid that the government will have specific information available to them? None of my weapons are stolen that I'm aware of, so I'm not afraid of a previous owner finding it. None of them are collectible enough to worry about the serial number attracting burglars. So, what is your reasoning?

I think I do it mostly for the paranoid reason, personally... At least on the firearms that I didn't have to already register the serial number with the feds. However, I then think to myself that seems kind of pointless. I talk about the models I own enough that people can figure out what I have and don't have already...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I do it because I can only remember the first couple of digits from all of the guns I lost during the horrific FTF boating accident. Not sure why others do that, but that is my story and I am sticking to it....

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I look at it like this.

You never ask people how they vote. You don't walk around town with your junk hanging out of your fly. You don't walk up to a nice young lady and say how big are your jugs.

Same goes for serial numbers of firearms. You don't need to know my serial numbers. Do you go around on car forums posting your cars vin? No it is just protection. Someone somewhere is a bad person with the skills needed to put your serial number on the gun they just used to kill their wife.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Great analogy Tango.

Some call it paranoid, I call it prudent.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I look at it like this.

You never ask people how they vote. You don't walk around town with your junk hanging out of your fly. You don't walk up to a nice young lady and say how big are your jugs.

Same goes for serial numbers of firearms. You don't need to know my serial numbers. Do you go around on car forums posting your cars vin? No it is just protection. Someone somewhere is a bad person with the skills needed to put your serial number on the gun they just used to kill their wife.
I almost spit my coffee on my keyboard. Thanks Tango.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Maybe it's owners that have guns with a history of wife abuse?

I'm just sayin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I look at it like this.

I walk around town with my junk hanging out of my pants cuff.

I can't believe you, of all people, wouldn't question a woman on her jugs.

I'm just glad we survived that damn boating accident.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Great analogy Tango.

Some call it paranoid, I call it prudent.
I second that, although, are you completely certain about the jug-thing Tango?

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not talking about junk hanging out in public. I'm more or less talking about when an ad for a gun is placed. And to use the car VIN analogy... yes, you do get it and can run a carfax report. I'm not really talking about randomly posting all your serial numbers at random for no reason.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

You don't post serial numbers all over the place because you just shouldn't do it.

there are people out there that don't like you for what ever reason. That is all they have to do.

Say you have an ex girlfriend that is just a tad on the effing crazy biznatch side of things (NINJA PLEASE We all have them). She is cyberstalking you an sees that you posted a serial number of one of your guns on the interwebs. Now being the crazy she is takes that number down and calls the PO PO (Police) and says. I just noticed that my pinking 176 loundenpuffer is missing it is valued at $3500 and here is the sieral number I think it was my ex that took it because I seen him posting the serial number on the interwebs at w1ww.idiotgunowners.com/net/edu/forum.

This is all a lie but all it is going to do is cause you hate and discontent. More headaches that you don't want.

So for your own good just don't do it.

Last edited by cpttango30; 01-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.