Seniors Thread - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Seniors Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #81
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7194 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet61 View Post
Well, guess I'll join in. Over the last year I have developed a tremor in my hands. Seems like it never goes away. Get up with it, go to bed with it. Dr. says he doesn't think it's Parkinsons or anything. He thinks that the pain in my neck and back have something to do with it, as well as the nerve damage. Some days it just plays hell with any fine motor skill work. Not really expecting any thing from you all except letting me complain. So, Thanks!
If it is just tremors from aging, there is a medication that can help with that.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Damn, knees are shot from ice hockey, getting down on the floor and up from it takes planning. Feet are bad from 15 years of refereeing too many soccer games. Sit for a while and when I get up I start walking like a 90 year old until the feet agree with the idea of locomotion. Eyes won't pick up the front sight in dim light. Ah hell, it is better then the alternative.

I have come to the conclusion that the term Golden Years was coined by a 23 year old used car salesman!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #83
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
Damn, knees are shot from ice hockey, getting down on the floor and up from it takes planning. Feet are bad from 15 years of refereeing too many soccer games. Sit for a while and when I get up I start walking like a 90 year old until the feet agree with the idea of locomotion. Eyes won't pick up the front sight in dim light. Ah hell, it is better then the alternative.

I have come to the conclusion that the term Golden Years was coined by a 23 year old used car salesman!
Yeah, I'm slow moving when first getting out of a chair or bed. It's the pits.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #84

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Ya know, when I was 22 I had a doctor tell me that most 50 year old men he sees are in better condition than I am. That was only 5 years ago. The Marine Corps infantry will age a man very fast. Supposedly a study was done (supposedly because I never can find any documentation) that says each year in the Marine infantry ages your body an additional 4 years, meaning a 4 year enlistment will add 20 years onto your age, counting your normal aging. By this logic, I have a physical age of 47 instead of 27, and incidentally, most people think I'm in my mid to late 40's until I tell them otherwise.

But still, I like to stop in and read the posts in this thread. Makes me appreciate how young I really am. My body is worn down, but I don't have shakes, deteriorating vision, heart disease, or any of the other stuff that comes with natural aging. I do, however, creak and pop all over (to the point where I sound like a walking bag of popcorn), get tired easily, supposedly have arthritis in my spine (I think its damage from carrying heavy loads), almost no cartilage in my knees or ankles, and when I get out of bed, I roll out and pray I'm able to at least get my knees under me before I hit the floor. I do this because sitting up, turning, and then standing is almost entirely out if the question.

But overall, y'all geezers make me feel good, and your preparing for what's to come. Don't worry, I'm taking notes. I like to learn from my elders. I should be pretty comfortable in my old age due to some of the things I learn here. Thank you!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #85

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Trip... not to be an arse... but if you age 4 years for each year, for 4 years in the infantry, then you'd be 16 years older not 20

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #86
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Ya know, when I was 22 I had a doctor tell me that most 50 year old men he sees are in better condition than I am. That was only 5 years ago. The Marine Corps infantry will age a man very fast. Supposedly a study was done (supposedly because I never can find any documentation) that says each year in the Marine infantry ages your body an additional 4 years, meaning a 4 year enlistment will add 20 years onto your age, counting your normal aging. By this logic, I have a physical age of 47 instead of 27, and incidentally, most people think I'm in my mid to late 40's until I tell them otherwise.

But still, I like to stop in and read the posts in this thread. Makes me appreciate how young I really am. My body is worn down, but I don't have shakes, deteriorating vision, heart disease, or any of the other stuff that comes with natural aging. I do, however, creak and pop all over (to the point where I sound like a walking bag of popcorn), get tired easily, supposedly have arthritis in my spine (I think its damage from carrying heavy loads), almost no cartilage in my knees or ankles, and when I get out of bed, I roll out and pray I'm able to at least get my knees under me before I hit the floor. I do this because sitting up, turning, and then standing is almost entirely out if the question.

But overall, y'all geezers make me feel good, and your preparing for what's to come. Don't worry, I'm taking notes. I like to learn from my elders. I should be pretty comfortable in my old age due to some of the things I learn here. Thank you!
I know several men who were in the marines. At least one I know of seeing combat in Vietnam and one deployed during Desert Storm. The Vietnam Vet I know is quite healthy, fit and active. He doesn't look his age at all. The other seems strong to me and his physical ailments mostly seems related to a very physical job he works.

If you're 27 and most people think you're in your in your 40's, well, now I'm curious to see a picture of you.

I'm in my **'s and most people think I'm 10 or so years younger than that.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Geezers? Geezers? Why If I could find my teeth I'd bite your head off. Where's my darn cane? Somebody needs a thrashing. Okay,who hid my glasses? I need to find my cane. Somebody help me find my glasses. Geezers. Hmph. Young whippersnapper. <grin>

I'm sorry to hear your service aged you so severely, but I certainly thank you for your service.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #88
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8963 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Doc- Hold him, and I'll hit him with my walker!

Yes, military service DOES accelerate wear and tear on the human engine. You will never find an old Airborne soldier that does not have bad knees or ankles or back. Hemorrhoids are the bane of fighter pilots. Artillerymen that say "Huh?" a LOT.

Frankly, if I had known i was gonna last this long, I would have taken better care of me!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #89

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Today I'm wondering if it's worse feeling bad because of age-related problems or from pushing too hard packing up this apartment. I have "officially" terminated from my job. There are some fitting issues with my new dentures (had oral surgery on 4 June...got rid of all of them) and now the dentist is mucking around, pushing implants. So, I've not been able to eat anything solid for a while and the "powers-that-be" at work have been "TELLING" me I have to get back to work. There are Leave of Absence issues and the whole thing has been a complete SNAFU. So, seeing as how I'm turning 62 this month, I decided that after over 40 years of working, I'm tired. So now I'm REtired. I'm NOT staying in Las Vegas OR Nevada. I have my name on waiting lists for 2 old fart apartment complexes in the Ft. Worth area and I've been packing and cleaning for the last 2 weeks. You don't realize just how much s**t you accumulate over the years and I have a lot to get rid of. Most of my furniture is going to the county dump so there are just a few larger things to move...computer desk, fridge, Hammond spinet organ, Koa wood television stand and dining room table. Unfortunately, I've been doing my usual "manic" thing and just pushing too hard, and now I'm paying for it. I'm sore all over so I'm taking a few days break to give myself time to relax and let my body recover. It's not like I have some set schedule I have to follow. I have a heating pad on my back and I've been using Aspercreme on my right shoulder. Both seem to be helping so I'll be back at it in a few days.

I'm definitely not as young as I used to be and my body is letting me know that.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 681 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
…. supposedly have arthritis in my spine (I think its damage from carrying heavy loads), almost no cartilage in my knees or ankles, and when I get out of bed, I roll out and pray I'm able to at least get my knees under me before I hit the floor. I do this because sitting up, turning, and then standing is almost entirely out if the question.
trip, You might google MSM and read up on it. I've been taking it off and on since arthritis symptoms hit me in the mid-'90's. I'm not sure how well it works after the cartilage is worn off but, IMO, it would be worth a shot. Won't hurt, for sure.
You can find pure granulated MSM anywhere they sell horse supplies. It takes more than you can get in a pill or tablet. I usually take a rounded teaspoon dissolved in a little water. I, too, thank you for your service.